Gain Staging - on the Master Bus?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

DanTheSongwriter

Gain Staging - on the Master Bus?

Post by DanTheSongwriter »

I just watched a video on gainstaging, and turning down the gain on each channel to -18dbfs or so. The example song had over 25 tracks so the Master Bus was still clipping but then he did some gain staging on the Master Bus which I'd never considered. Is that ok? I've been gain staging each track then bringing down all the faders to zero and working from there. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Mark Bliss

Re: Gain Staging - on the Master Bus?

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Dan,

To me, "gain staging" is being aware of, and controlling the signal level at all points really.
Recording level, channel strip and insert input, input and output of all plug-ins and processors. Including on bussed channels and the main bus.
It is not always critical, but at the same time- it is just good practice to be consistent, which IMO saves a lot of time and improves the end result.

In your description, the specific project with many channels may become cumulatively too high summing into the main bus. Therefore it might be handy to place a trim plug-in in at the first main bus insert to set the level where desired if for example you are running some plug-ins on the main bus.

I always have a metering suite in the last main insert, and since Mixcrafts main fader is post insert, I always leave it at unity (0) and set my mix-down level via a fader in that last insert.
The specific target may depend on whether I am "mastering" within the project, or mixing down and mastering the song independently, as a set or EP for example.

Everything is variable, thats just a general outline and starting point.
Someone else might say thats all wrong, but thats what I do. Hope it helps answer your question. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
DanTheSongwriter

Re: Gain Staging - on the Master Bus?

Post by DanTheSongwriter »

Hi Mark and thanks. Seems there are different routes to take for sure.

"I always have a metering suite in the last main insert..."
Is that something like the Tone Boosters collection or something else outside of Mixcraft? I've watched several Recording Revolution vids and he runs EQ and Compression on the main bus but leaves it at that, at least for tutorials, I believe. Mind if I ask what you generally put on the Main Bus?