Aux Send for EQ/Comp?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

DanTheSongwriter

Aux Send for EQ/Comp?

Post by DanTheSongwriter »

I just watched a video from Recording Revolution (w/ Chris Leipe) and he was setting up a vocal chain to record. He's recording with EQ and Comp on and these are the first three steps to get it set up but I'm not sure if he's talking about creating an Aux Send channel. Anyone have insights on this for MX9?

Thanks!

"Inside your DAW, you need two tracks - one audio track, one aux/bus track.
The bus track should have the input from your audio interface’s preamp.
From there, assign the bus track’s output, to be the input of the audio track."
cactus-head

Re: Aux Send for EQ/Comp?

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

It sounds like the set up is to create a Send track in Mixcraft with your effects on that. Check out the Mixcraft 9 manual starting on page 43. It will give you all the info you need on using and setting up send tracks and effects.
DanTheSongwriter

Post by DanTheSongwriter »

I have the feeling it sounds more complicated than it is. Thanks for the heads-up. Will check that out.
Sharm

Post by Sharm »

Ah I logged in today specifically to ask this same question after watching Chris Liepe's video on how to EQ and compress live vocals AS they're being recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhkOv0IqoCw

I couldn't find how to create an aux track in Mixcraft like he suggests and wondered if anyone ever found a workaround to create this routing chain that he talks about? I understand how a send track works, but doesn't this affect the recording AFTER it's been recording and not DURING?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions with this!
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

My guess is you want to end up with an audio track that is recorded with the EQ and the compression "Burned" into it?

I think the chain would look like this.

Singer -> Into a track -> Ouput goes to a Bus track (you can put your effects here) -> Bus track is looped back to another audio track to record

That's pretty much it. You create three tracks essentially. I use three tracks instead of two because that gives me the option to record a raw version if I want at the same time as recording an effected version. That way I can always adjust the effects against the original without having to do more takes. The routing still applies whether I record or playback.

1. The track that receives the direct input from the mic (Audio)
2. An Output Bus track. Add your effects here (compression EQ)
3. The final audio track that is the burned version of tracks 1 and 2. The EQ and compression are part of the audio.

Go to the Mixer because you can set and see the inputs and outputs of each track altogether. For track 1, set the input to whereever your mic comes in. Set the output to the bus track.

On the bus track, the input is already coming from track 1 since that's how you set it. Add you compression and EQ. Test it by making sure the ouput on the bus track for now is set to the Default Playback or the Master. Make sure your levels and the effects are how you want them. Once you are happy set the bus track output to another channel on your audio interface (not the Master). My audio interface has several channels for input and ouput. I will choose outputs 3+4 - paired for stereo. On my interface, I have to make sure that this channel pair is set to Loop Back.

On my Final Audio track (track 3) I want to set the Input to the same Output as the Output Bus. This is paired channel 3+4 .

On track 1, set the Monitor Audio on (do not arm)
On Track 3 Arm. You should see the level meters moving on all three tracks if you set eveything correctly

Hit record, the input will flow from track 1 to the output bus on track 2, and then record on track 3.

It's pretty straight forward. You just have to make sure your audio interface can loop back.