Easiest Plugins on Computer?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

DanTheSongwriter

Easiest Plugins on Computer?

Post by DanTheSongwriter »

Is there a way to check how much drain there is from different plugins on the computer? It could be nice to know and work with the more computer friendly tools first.

Also, is there any difference for the computer to use the EQ/Comp directly from the mixer versus adding plugins and Send tracks? Of course the Send tracks are still needed for reverbs and delays, etc., but would using EQ and Compression from the mixer streamline the power usage?

Thanks
TrevsAudio

Re: Easiest Plugins on Computer?

Post by TrevsAudio »

Even with my moderately spec'ed computer, I've never had a drain because of plugins. I wouldn't personally use a compressor or EQ on a send track, because different instruments/vocals will require different settings - unlike reverb with a fixed setting and varying amounts being dialed in as required.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
DanTheSongwriter

The computer has generally been fine but I did cook up a mix with 30 faders going and heavy plugin usage - EQs on reverbs, compression on Send tracks, submixes, etc. Just wondering if certain plugins would free up even more fire power.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

regarding using the Mixer board EQs, Compression, Gain etc. there shouldn't be additional overhead as this is already in the main program and not running separately loaded "sub-programs" in the forms of VSTs. There may be slight overhead for things that have to be activated like the compressor, the drive or the parametric EQ - I saw an 8k increase in memory use when switching them on - but only 1 8k increase even though I switched on several tracks. I think once they are on anywhere - it's on for the whole program even though it's not routed on the specific track that have them set to off. I was watching the memory use for Mixcraft on the Windows task manager.

Using the Mixing board EQs is a bit of an artform in that there is no immediate visual feedback - you really learn to rely on your ears. You could of course put spectrum analysers on the tracks or on the master track, but then you are adding VSTs when the goal was to use the Mixer Knobs.

Check out Page 46 of the Mixcraft 9 manual. It will describe the signal flow so you also have a better understanding of how you might want to set up your send tracks and understand where the Mixer EQ, gain etc falls within the audio signal flow.
DanTheSongwriter

Using the on-board EQ, etc., and putting one spectrum analyzer on the Master sounds like a lighter workload than all of those plug-ins on different tracks. Also, thanks for the info in the manual. Will check that out.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

...and Pultronic Tube EQ is the worst. :smile:
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
DanTheSongwriter

Is Guitar rig a vst? Not familiar with that.
DanTheSongwriter

That thing looks like a beast. Might have to check it out.
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

what does that russian stuff say?
10.1 Pro studio build 587
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

hpharley90 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:27 am what does that russian stuff say?
Putin sucks at guitar? :mrgreen:

Nah - just spam - reported!
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
DanTheSongwriter

Translated, this Top Secret intel says Putin loves Cool Jazz, Polka and even plays Bluegrass fiddle.
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

trevlyns wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:39 am
hpharley90 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:27 am what does that russian stuff say?
Putin sucks at guitar? :mrgreen:

Nah - just spam - reported!
ahh....understood....
10.1 Pro studio build 587
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
wpostma

Post by wpostma »

I highly recommend the EQ and Compressor plugins from Tokyo Dawn Labs for (a) sounding like real outboard compressors and EQs and (b) doing so without using a tonne of CPU.

There's a plugin company called ACUSTICA AUDIO (one letter different name than the makers of MIxcraft) that happens to make some plugins that are incredibly detailed but use internal 8x oversampling and are absolute CPU killers.

What you want is to just avoid these hyper-accurate-analog-modelling class plugins, and if you must use them, use them in ONE channel, in your mastering project, not at your mixing stage.

My favorite saying is "when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail". Don't run analog modelling plugins on 8 or 24 channels in your project. Just do it once on your mastering chain, and call it good. You can't hear the difference anyways, even if you think you can. Your brain is playing tricks on you. Psychoacoustics is tough.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

DanTheSongwriter wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:54 am Is there a way to check how much drain there is from different plugins on the computer?
There are two indicators in the lower right-hand of the screen which can give you an idea, but I also have a modest PC and never had issues (granted I'm not building 100-track songs either).
BanjoGuy55

Post by BanjoGuy55 »

Has anybody checked the CPU loads of all the now-free Toneboosters 3 plugins? Seems like quality stuff and everything one might need for a decent finished project. No over-the-top graphics, either. Unfortunately I bought some other plugins before fully exploring the TB stuff. No regrets using the purchased ones, but still...