Final Mix Tip – Don’t Watch The Screen!

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

TrevsAudio

Final Mix Tip – Don’t Watch The Screen!

Post by TrevsAudio »

I discovered something quite by accident that I’d like to share with my fellow ‘Home Producers’

I’ve been involved in bands and music since the late ‘50’s and full time recording (producing my own stuff) since I retired in 2011. I can pretty much claim that I know what an instrument, FX or mix should sound like.

So here’s a tip for the final mixing stage. On my latest project, I have all instruments and vocals down and have spent a couple of days tweaking and adjusting things. Sounds good; or so I thought. So after an overnight break, I came back, put on my ‘good’ headphones, hit play and turned away from my computer and screen.

I was amazed at what I heard! From the outset, I could pick up volume and tone differences; those toms were too loud, that gentle reverb I put on the piano to make it silky was totally awash and drowned out by the strings in certain sections…

So I did the exercise again with a notepad and pen, jotting down changes to be made. What a difference. :D

My theory is that by looking at the tracks and automation etc, as well as trying to listen objectively, we lose something. It's multitasking, and I'm no good at it at all. :(
Close your eyes or look away and concentrate solely on what you are hearing.

This old dog certainly learned a new trick 8)
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
outteh

Re: Final Mix Tip – Don’t Watch The Screen!

Post by outteh »

Great advice! :D :D :D :D :D
jules_alex

Post by jules_alex »

I've always been really suspicious of visual information getting in the way of listening . I'm a saxophone player and occasionally teacher- the number of beginners who stare obsessively at the needle of their electronic tuners, panicking that they can't play in tune. Then get them to close their eyes and play in tune to piano notes and- no problem
The murky recesses of my psyche converted to sound- https://soundcloud.com/jules-alex-l
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

I stumbled upon this thread as I'm working on my final mix right now on a new track. I already do this - as soon as I'm ready for the final mix, I will close my eyes and deeply concentrate on only what I hear. I wanted to add though to TrevsAudio good advice - don't rely on your headphones too much. I find almost everything sounds good through a good set of headphones. You need to eventually listen through a decent set of monitor speakers and ensure that the mix is sounding good through those and tweak all the levels as desired.

I find myself almost entirely working with headphones while creating my track, and then almost entirely listening through my monitors when it comes to the final mix. I'm still pretty new at all this, but I think this is good advice.