Setting up velocity curves for eDrums

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

podonnell

Setting up velocity curves for eDrums

Post by podonnell »

I have been using a Roland eKit to play, and all the VSTs I use bring the sounds in very soft.

I was told it is better to create a velocity curve within the DAW instead of changing my sensitivity on the kit itself -- something I had been doing previously.

Are there any general tips or guides that can help with something like this for drums? Could I save something like this at a global level so they are always applied?

Thanks!
cactus-head

Re: Setting up velocity curves for eDrums

Post by cactus-head »

Personally, I'd fine tune the sensitivity first to my play level. My general loudest should be at a velcoity of 127. VSTs will play back MIDI velocities at what they come in at. If all VSTs are playing back my input quietly or at lower velocities, then from the gate I'm probably playing pretty light and if I'm expecting higher velocities, I should adjust my kit sensity to my play style. Once adjusted it will be consistent I would think.

As far as velocity curves, Mixcraft records MIDI in clips. There is no curve per se, but you can select a clip and adjust the entire velocity range up or down an absolute amount or a percentage.

There are some other ways to affect the velocity. You could for example, try a plugin like midiCurve https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1414/. Place it as the first instrument on the instrument selection screen followed by your drum VST or whatever. The curve you setup will affect the playback of the VSTi