Click-noises in the track

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Seelengold

Click-noises in the track

Post by Seelengold »

Hallo,

I use Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio since ca. 4 weeks.

First I worked with free audio-samples from for example looperman and other suppliers. Since I have practically no music theory knowledge and also no experience with DAWs, of course problems arise from time to time, for which I have always found a solution myself.

Now I try working the first time with midi-files. So far i have always got all problems solved here as well. But now I have a problem and I can not find a solution. I tried and tried and tried...

I composed a song and I have the problem that when the same note comes twice right after each other, there is always a plop noise when playing. But only if it's the same note.

For example g and once more g = plopping noise.

If two different notes follow directly after each other = no plopping noise.

I would be very happy if someone could maybe give me a hint how to solve the problem.

Kind regards from Germany
Acoustica Greg

Re: Click-noises in the track

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using Mixcraft version 9.0 build 470? Which virtual instrument are you using?

You may just need to shorten the duration of the first note a tiny bit.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Seelengold

Post by Seelengold »

Hello,

I am using Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio 64 Bit Build 470 and as instrument CS80 Blade.

Different lengths on the first note don't change anything, no matter if I shorten it only slightly or more. It has no effect at all.

I then tried the corresponding note sequences with some other instruments and the results were different. Sometimes the transitions were clearly audible (click-noises), sometimes they were soft/harmonic without any unwanted noises.

My impression is that instruments with a voluminous sound are prone to click-noises, whereas instruments with a narrow sound do not have a problem.

Kind regards

Seelengold
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Which instrument had the click noises originally?

Greg
Seelengold

Post by Seelengold »

Hello,

good morning to you.

At my beginning with composing I used exclusively "Piano" and "CS80 Blade".

I didn't perceive any noises with the piano, but with CS80 Blade immediately.

Kind regards

Seelengold
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, I think I can hear it with the CS80 Blade preset. It may just be the abrupt transition from the start of the synthesizer note (attack) and the way it sounds as it sustains. I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Greg
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

If you are referring to the Messiah preset, If you click the Edit button under PAGE, you will see the EFFECTS settings. The plopping note seems to be a delay. Try turning it off and see if that solves the double note problem. However, it changes the ambience of the sound a bit.

cs80 blade.JPG
cs80 blade.JPG (121.29 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
Seelengold

Post by Seelengold »

Hi cactus-head,

thank you very much for your hint.

I followed up on the hint: Messiah > PAGE > Edit > EFFECTS > On. And then I didn't know what to do, tried around, but didn't come to any result.

Of course I also tried around a little bit. I then downloaded a program that can display the envelope larger than it is the case with Mixcraft. The neuralgic point was also to be found, but of course of such short duration that it was difficult - maybe only for me, I don't know - to simply cut out exactly this tiny section. No sooner said than done, successful...? Yes, "successful", the section was gone. But the original sound... that was gone too...

I suspect that your hint ultimately also meant deleting the tiny section, and that's where we "meet" then: the atmosphere, the original sound is gone.

Characteristic of my composition/song so far is the use of chords. They run through the whole song, so they are the essential element of the song. If I cut out the tiny snippet from the chords in question (double note), then it is no longer the song, then it is simply dead.

Of course, I'd be grateful if anyone else might be able to think of something to say about the problem.

I don't know if "CS80 Blade" is available in other DAWs. If so, it would be interesting to know if the problem exists there too, so it is a basic problem, or a Mixcraft-specific problem.

Kind regards

Seelengold
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Its not a problem, its how the sound is built. That switch for the delay should be off to stop the extra noise at the end of a note. But it does change the atmosphere of the sound.

What i was originally looking for was a key follow or a key-off switch that usually controls what happens on a synth when the key is pressed and released, but in this case im almost positive it is the delay effect

Another option to keep the "life" of the sound would be to use a stereo reverb. There may be a setting in the effects box but im not at a computer right now so i cant look.
Seelengold

Post by Seelengold »

Hi,

I'll give a quick interim report.

Cactus-head, you put me on the right track with your hint about the reverb effect.

I have now played through umpteen reverb effects. So far, "Classic Reverb/Grand Hall (Send)" and especially "TB BusCompressor" (default setting) show really good results. "TB BusCompressor" has, however, in addition to the standard setting several other fine-tuning options beyond the default setting, so I'm going to do some more tweaking here.

What I generally find again and again is that it is really crucial who you meet in the digital field. In my years of experience, it's a rare stroke of luck when you catch someone where, right off the bat, you're like, "My God, there are really people sitting with skills that stand out impressively from the whole lot."

By the way, that was the case for me at Mixcraft!

I've tried a few DAWS before and I was always puzzled by who came up with each product. It always seemed to me to be people whose stated intention was to scare off beginners by every trick in the book. They were also always "successful".

Kind regards

Seelengold
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I'm glad you're finding your way! :D

I checked Messiah and I don't see a reverb control there. I might be overlooking it but I think there is only Distortion, Delay and Chorus. Sometimes with a delay you can get a nice reverb effect; but this one is a bit limited. I would guess that's why you perceive "noise."

If you turn off the delay as discussed previously and are adding an external effect, another one to try is Fusion Field. I think the "Church Ambience" preset might be one that keeps the flavor of the original intent.

On the fusion field VST, turn up the delay to about .100 secs. The delay is subtle but the reverb remains nicely:

fusion field church.JPG
fusion field church.JPG (50.08 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Seelengold

Post by Seelengold »

Hi cactus-head,

I looked for "Fusion Field", but I didn´t find it.

Therefore I had a look in the manual Mixcraft 8, and there are all the effects listed included in all Mixcraft Versions. The listing says: Included. So I was wondering, that I coud not find it in my Version 9.

Checking the Acoustica website resulted, that it is only included in Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, but not in my version Recording Studio. I dont know the reason for the changing and think it´s a little bit curious, version 8 in, version 9 out resp. only in Pro Studio.

But I discovered on the Acoustica website, that you you can hear the effects there. So I listened to "Fusion Field", but I must say "Classic Reverb/Grand Hall (Send)" sounds better.

Thank you for your support and please excuse my English - it could be better, yes -, but this time I wrote without the help of deeplink.org, only with my own knowledge.

Kind regards

Seelengold
Seelengold

Post by Seelengold »

Hi

Then times the final report: It is done! Unfortunately, I have not been able to completely eliminate the noise. And I have really tried everything. Note length, note spacing, attack, decay, different compressors with infinite settings and so on.

At some point I no longer knew what I hear and what not and was on the verge of shredding everything.

And then I thought: Well, technically imperfect, but compositionally © Seelengold and Made in Germany.

I was able to soften the critical note transitions somewhat, but not completely. And what also doesn't really satisfy me is that the higher frequencies come across a bit too shrill in parts, unfortunately.

If someone would like to hear "Grandezza", which would make me happy of course, please click here:

<a href="https://soundcloud.com/thorge-634213207 ... al_sharing" rel="nofollow">https://soundcloud.com/thorge-634213207 ... sharing</a>