Focusrite 2i2

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kpinks

Focusrite 2i2

Post by kpinks »

Hey guys, newbie here. I am looking at getting a midi controller for MC. I have the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface that does not have midi inputs. How can I connect my midi controller to my interface? I am looking at getting the Nektar LX61
gaffster

Re: Focusrite 2i2

Post by gaffster »

Both the midi controller and audio interface connect to your PC via USB. It's been a decade since I actually used real midi cables....since they came up with midi over USB.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

...and the Focusrite will still help by allowing the audio your computer is producing to reach your ears more quickly. Without it, there would be more delay between the time you play a note and when you hear it. That delay is called latency.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
kpinks

Post by kpinks »

Thanks so much for all your help guys
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

I'm confused by this entire thread. :) I was looking at the Nektar keyboard mentioned here, but I see only one USB port, which presumably is used for power and so you have no way to connect to an interface, let alone go out to the PC, i.e. where normally you'd have a MIDI in and out ports for each. I get that USB ports are replacing the 5 pin MIDI ports, but still you need to connect to the interface (in) and to the PC (out) right? So don't you still need the additional jacks? If I'm using the USB port for power, I can't do that. What am I missing?
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

USB port provides power and data transfer, no need to go through I/O at all, just plug and play.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yep.
Two very different communication protocols.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:30 am USB port provides power and data transfer, no need to go through I/O at all, just plug and play.
I get that USB can provide power and data transfer, but:

- If keyboard connects to the interface via USB, where is it getting power from? Somewhere along this chain something needs to be connected to a cable that runs to the wall for power.
- I only see one port on the 2i2 as well. So if you use that to connect the keyboard, how do you connect it to the PC? OR get power to it?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Both connect to the PC via USB. You don't plug the keyboard into the audio interface.

Keyboard data out to PC
PC interprets keyboard data (Key on, Key off, Aftertouch, Velocity, many possibilities) via a set of instructions (DAW, Virtual instrument, etc)
PC sends modified data to interface, which is your soundcard (DAC, headphone amp, line out amp, whatever your specific rig may be set up to use)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I've got a keyboard, control surface and pads connected through a usb hub, all work great.

M