Recording automation using a midi controller

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Falconhoof

Recording automation using a midi controller

Post by Falconhoof »

Hi folks,

Anyone know if there's a way in Mixcraft 9 Pro to record automation of eg. modwheel data to a track using the midi controller to change the parameter?

It works fine if I use the small dial next to the automation lane to live record the changes but when I move the mod wheel/knob or whatever on my keyboard it doesn't work.

I have an Akai MPD controller with a bank of knobs that I map to synth settings and would like to be able to use the automation record all setting to record some movement after the track is down.

Thanks,
Doug
TrevsAudio

Re: Recording automation using a midi controller

Post by TrevsAudio »

Yes, you should be able to do this. Just make sure the automation lane is armed.

Here, I used my Korg NanoKONTROL2 volume slider for that particular track (Track 1)

Automation.png
Automation.png (110.48 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Guaresneider

Re: Recording automation using a midi controller

Post by Guaresneider »

Falconhoof wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:42 am Hi folks,

Anyone know if there's a way in Mixcraft 9 Pro to record automation of eg. modwheel data to a track using the midi controller to change the parameter?

It works fine if I use the small dial next to the automation lane to live record the changes but when I move the mod wheel/knob or whatever on my keyboard it doesn't work.

I have an Akai MPD controller with a bank of knobs that I map to synth settings and would like to be able to use the automation record all setting to record some movement after the track is down.

Thanks,
Doug

Hi Falconhoof, not sure if you fixed this already but just in case.

You can use the Akai MPD controller to record automation of specific settings in Mixcraft 9 Pro.

1. Connect your Akai MPD controller to your computer.
2. In Mixcraft, go to the "Options" menu and select "MIDI Devices."
3. In the MIDI Devices dialog box, select the Akai MPD as the "MIDI Input" device.
4. Add a virtual instrument track to your project and load your desired synth.
5. Open the synth's interface by clicking on the effect in the mixer.
6. Go to the "Settings" menu and select "MIDI Learn."
7. In the MIDI Learn dialog box, select the parameter you want to control (e.g. modwheel) and then move the corresponding knob or control on the Akai MPD controller.
8. Close the MIDI Learn dialog box and exit the synth's interface.
9. In the mixer, click on the "Record Automation" button for the virtual instrument track.
10. Press the "Record" button in Mixcraft to start recording.
11. Move the knobs or controls on the Akai MPD controller to make the desired changes to the synth's parameters.

The automation data should now be recorded and can be edited in the same way as other automation data in Mixcraft. Note that you may need to adjust the MIDI mapping in your Akai MPD software to ensure that it is sending the correct data to Mixcraft. Have fun! Mixcraft is an awesome DAW!! :D