Does repeated looping get a bit off over time?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Sturdy

Does repeated looping get a bit off over time?

Post by Sturdy »

Hi, I haven't seen this discussed in the forum, but wanted to ask - does anyone notice repeated looping over a period of time tend to cause playback to get a little bit out of sync? I often loop parts when trying to figure out vocals, or other parts to put over top, and it seems like after a while things will get a bit out of sync - nothing terrible, but just a bit off - but if I stop and restart playback on the looped section everything syncs back up. I wanted to mention it in case it hasn't been mentioned before.
ppayne

Re: Does repeated looping get a bit off over time?

Post by ppayne »

Sometimes a loop runs longer then 20 minutes for me and then I notice that too. But it didn't bother me.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What are you looping? MP3 files aren't good for looping because they contain a tiny bit of header information that throws things off after a while. That's why we provide Ogg Vorbis loops in Mixcraft's library. Wav files are also good.

That said, you might need to adjust the loop markers on the sound tab. For example, if your loop is supposed to be 1 bar long, but it's actually 1.17 bars long, you'll slowly get out of time. Note that the sound tab has its own snap setting, and you may need to turn that off or reduce it to get the markers in the right spot.

Greg
Loop markers in Mixcraft 9.
Loop markers in Mixcraft 9.
loopmarkersMX9.png (25.75 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:25 am What are you looping?
Thanks for the comment Greg, appreciated. fwiw, it's almost always audio that I've recorded within within loop points in Mixcraft, or a series of consecutive takes that I'm listening through. I'll have some addictive drums or ezdrums or similar going usually also, and maybe something on kontakt - so both midi and recorded wav audio are going. I just hit stop and play again and it seems to sync things up fine. But I wanted to mention as I knew you guys were working on Mixcraft 10, and could be looking at stuff like that in case how samples are being handled at a loop might cause a bit of drag over long time. Anyhow - just wanted to mention in case. Thanks again for the reply. (edit: usually I don't edit the loop length on audio when it's been recorded within Mixcraft, but when I do I'm almost always sure be sure the snap to option is selected for bar alignment, but I'll be sure to check those next time).
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We can't fix anything if we don't know the details. If there is a tiny error in the length of a loop, the drift will add up over time.

if you have a loop that should loop correctly, but doesn't - send it to us and well check it out.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101