album / lookup track - round 2

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

rnmerchant

album / lookup track - round 2

Post by rnmerchant »

I have just today started with problems again with downloading track names from MusicBrainz - which has been working well now with the SIA patch for some time. The Musicbrainz.org site is up and running; and I've tried the lookup now over the course of several hours.

Is there something new about the lookup algorithm that is interfering or is the Musicbrainz site just (hopefully temporarily) down or is something else happening?...

Thanks for the help.

Richard
rnmerchant

Re: album / lookup track - round 2

Post by rnmerchant »

I wonder if the moderators - acousticaDan - could look at this question.

Going back to previous messages it appears a user called atlanticom designed the original fix and implemented an alternative lookup that used a utility that he posted on what would appear to be his own web server or website. This was a work-around to use a newer version of Musicbrainz's site algorithm for getting album info.

I'm wondering now if Atlanticom's website is no longer functional so the altered lookup algorithm isn't working. I tried direct-messaging him/her but have had no response.

Could the moderators use their info to find this contributor? Perhaps the lookup system could be redone so that it is using another storage space (acoustica's space?)

Thanks Richard

This is the original post-solution:

[i]Album / Track Lookup Solution

Post by atlanticom » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:46 pm
tldr; replace your existing c:\Program FIles (x86)\Acoustica Spin It Again\acuutils.dll file with this alternate version (exactly the same, but url of musicbrainz lookup has been changed) and lookups will start working again! File locatated at: http://siamb.jhbsa.com/acuutils.dll (or as a signed installer package for ease of download/installation at: http://siamb.jhbsa.com/SIA-Lookup-Patch.exe )[/i]
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

MusicBrainz must have changed something again. Spin It Again is a very old product, and we're not updating it anymore.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Hi Greg:

I think that perhaps you did not read my whole message. Can I ask you to review it again; and if you don't understand what I've said, to go back to the original post here:
Post by atlanticom » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:46 pm

I'm not making any proposal to change SpinItAgain in this message (although that would be a very easy and reasonable thing to do inasmuch as Acoustica continues to sell the program I believe.

Thanks Richard.
Brian48091

Post by Brian48091 »

in the post from atlanticom https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26482v
he wrote in that post:

The challenge was 'how to get Spin It Again to ask the proxy for album info instead of musicbrainz directly. Some quick digging with a hex editor discovered the musicbrainz.org url hard coded in the acuutils.dll file. I then edited the file to replace the musicbrainz.org domain with the domain of my proxy script siamb.jhbsa.com and voila! Spin It Again can ask the proxy using v1 commands, and the proxy asks musicbrainz using v2 commands, and then transforms the results before sending them back to Spin It Again.

with his web pages not responding I would venture a guess that the proxy script siamb.jhbsa.com won't work so no lookup's are working
Last edited by Brian48091 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Indeed... this is what I suggested a couple of posts ago.

The website jhbsa.com does not give anything coherent so that would imply to me that it is gone... though how it could be gone so suddenly (working one month, then not the next) is not clear to me.

Too bad someone didn't store that proxyscript somewhere so it could be re-enabled. However kludgy workarounds are available as it seems Acoustica has no interest in making this work.

Richard
Rjs3566

Post by Rjs3566 »

Here you go:
https://archive.org/details/sia-lookup-patch
Found a copy and put it in the Internet Archive.

You're welcome! LOL :lol:
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Thank you for trying!

Unfortunately I don't believe that will do anything. As previous posts say, the quoted utility modifies a SIA file such that...

"I then edited the file to replace the musicbrainz.org domain with the domain of my proxy script siamb.jhbsa.com and voila! Spin It Again..."

So the recent problem has been that the "domain of my proxy script" is not active, nor is the proxy script apparently anywhere so that it can be used or modified by someone with those skills...

So what is needed is a similar utility and a matching proxy script located somewhere... Optimally Acoustica would do that but they apparently have no interest in implementing this simple change. Too bad. One wonders if, as the sales of vinyl have skyrocked whether the use of Spin-it-again will do so too - but I guess those who are now buying vinyl are not interested in digital versions, and those who are interested in digital versions get their music off Spotify. Spiral of destruction...

Good try!
Rjs3566

Post by Rjs3566 »

I saw a post that said something about what version of SIA will work with the proxy.
I'm going to do some research. :roll:
Rjs3566

Post by Rjs3566 »

From what I see the version that will work is SIA v2.1 b39.
I need to check that version out.
Rjs3566

Post by Rjs3566 »

I wish I could tell you how I did it, but I got the patch to work!
I'm using Windows 11 & SIA v. 2.5 b46.
It just started working. :shock:
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Interesting! Indeed it does work.

I have to assume that the website that hosted the proxy script came back online - whether by the person who did it initially several years back, or somehow otherwise, I don't know. But either way it is indeed currently working for me too!

That's nice and thanks to "he who fixed it"!
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Posted in error. Sorry - the system doesn't allow me to delete it.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Posted what in error? The post where you said it worked? What happens when you click on the little x to delete it?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Sorry - that was confusing wasn't it.

I posted a comment then realized it was wrong. I went to delete it and the system said that deleting wasn't allowed... (even though there was a button for that). So I edited it to remove the incorrect info - but the system wouldn't let me leave an empty message, so I had to put something. I guess the something I put wasn't very helpful.... :(