Need computer troubleshooting help!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

squeakie

Need computer troubleshooting help!

Post by squeakie »

I need some help and suggestions from the more tech savvy gurus here to isolate a problem I’m having with a particular VST on two laptops.

My laptop’s are a bit dated, but both actually do fairly well with DAW’s and VST’s. One is a Fugitsu, Windows 10 Pro, i5, 8G RAM, two hard drives (primary an SDD, secondary HD with a speed of 7200rpm). The other, an ASUS, Windows 10, 7th gen i7, 12G RAM, regular HD, and fairly certain the HD speed is below 7200.

I’ve recently updated to the latest version of Roland Zenology. Both the current and previous versions use a considerable amount of CPU when the browser is open. I’m seeing CPU percentage jump to over 30% when I open the browser. I know others aren’t reporting this problem, but it’s an issue on two different computers for me. The main screen for Zenology doesn’t use much CPU, but the browser, and selecting a drum kit uses a lot. My computers seem to conflict with the GUI. Any suggestions? Could it be driver issues with my graphics card on both computers? I know my Asus is running a current Windows build, the Fugitsu might be one behind, but this issue was present on it when the Windows build was current.

Thx!
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
outteh

Re: Need computer troubleshooting help!

Post by outteh »

When you say browser is is Microsoft Edge. This new browser is a cpu hog. Check on line for ways to decrease the browser usage or try Chrome browser.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

The browser for Zenology. You open the browser within Zenology to access the various sound groups, expansions, ect.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Sounds like the classic opengl problem to me. I also have 3 plugins from sonible and xln audio that need 30 percent CPU without doing anything. Just try disabling opengl in the plugin, if that's possible.

If that identifies the problem, then you can start thinking about what to do from there.

Patrick
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

ppayne wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:13 pm Sounds like the classic opengl problem to me. I also have 3 plugins from sonible and xln audio that need 30 percent CPU without doing anything. Just try disabling opengl in the plugin, if that's possible.

If that identifies the problem, then you can start thinking about what to do from there.

Patrick
I was very curious about this being an OpenGL problem, but I don’t think Zenology has this as an option under settings. I do remember Greg pointing me to this a while back with another VST problem, and it turned out to be an OpenGL issue.

Thx
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

squeakie wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:18 pm
ppayne wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:13 pm Sounds like the classic opengl problem to me. I also have 3 plugins from sonible and xln audio that need 30 percent CPU without doing anything. Just try disabling opengl in the plugin, if that's possible.

Patrick
I was very curious about this being an OpenGL problem, but I don’t think Zenology has this as an option under settings. I do remember Greg pointing me to this a while back with another VST problem, and it turned out to be an OpenGL issue.

Thx
There is usually an option to turn it off. With xln audio I had to put a special file next to the xo plugin to disable it. Certainly there is also a possibility at zenology.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

There are lots of web search hits for people saying Zenology has high CPU.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Thx Greg.., in the early days of Zenology CPU hit was a big topic. Roland did some tweaks to the program that helped reduce it, but some of us have higher browser CPU than it’s supposed to be. As pointed out by another member, OpenGL might be the culprit. Someone in another post of mine showed a screen shot of Zenology Pro with the drum editor open, and it barely scratched his CPU.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Did you try the suggestion in that FAQ to see if it helps you?
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Greg, a while back I went through one of the FAQ troubleshooting list, and the only thing that showed improvement was utilizing the voice limit. Don’t remember seeing a fix for browser high CPU usage.

Sqk
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, voice limit was what I was asking about. Okay, just checking!

Greg
Banjostar

Post by Banjostar »

outteh wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:01 pm When you say browser is is Microsoft Edge. This new browser is a cpu hog. Check on line for ways to decrease the browser usage or try Chrome browser.
Both Edge and Chrome is built on Chromium and Edge uses less resources than Chrome.