Struggling as non-US user

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

diogobaixerasg

Struggling as non-US user

Post by diogobaixerasg »

Hi all!

I am from brazil and here we use the solfaggio / Arezzo / Solfège naming convention (dó-ré-mi-fá-sol-lá-si), but given mixcraft comes with the US standard c-d-e-f-g-a-b i have been trying to acomodate it so i can make a less stressful use of it. But so far, i have not been having any success. I entered the foruns to find a topic on this but also no success so far. So, please, could someone explain to me how to convert it? If it's not possible, is there any plugin avaliable out there that does it? If yes, which one?

I hope that i am not making a duplicate topic, and if i am, please, moderator, show which one is the original and close this topic.

Thanks!
botface

Re: Struggling as non-US user

Post by botface »

I'm not entirely sure but in Europe the solfege method is often used and I believe Do = C, Re = D, Mi = E etc
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The association would vary depending on key.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

Please explain the context in which you are using Solfeggio. I learned it as a relationship between tones so that it could be applied to any scale - mostly for sight-reading or sight-singing. How would you want to use it in Mixcraft?

Mixcraft is a recording program - not really a notation program so I'm a bit confused as to the use of Solfege in Mixcraft.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

...that being said, it dawned on me that one could set up a custom drum map on the Piano role. You don't have to use drums, you could use notes but you can set up the mapping to be the solfege. I did a quick example using C as the root key. The attached file goes in:

%programdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\drum-maps7\

After placing the file in the directory and restarting Mixcraft, using the drop down, look through all of the maps until you find Solfege C root. This is a basic example; but one could map and label the piano roll in various customized ways.

Solfege C Root.txt
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

mixcraft solfege drum map.JPG
mixcraft solfege drum map.JPG (89.88 KiB) Viewed 5416 times

do a deer.JPG
do a deer.JPG (71.24 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
botface

Post by botface »

Mark Bliss wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:09 am The association would vary depending on key.
Indeed. But I thought the OP was referring to key signatures where a solfege-derived system is used. Wikipedia explains -
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_signa ... anslations) -

"Fixed Do key notation – used (among others) in Italian, French, Dutch (in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium), Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Occitan, Breton, Basque, Russian (along with the German system), Ukrainian, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Latvian, Lithuanian (along with the German and English system), Romanian, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Persian, Turkish (along with the English system) and Vietnamese. Most countries (though not all, e.g. Serbia) where Fixed Do solmization is used also use the Fixed Do key notation. Instead of the letters C, D, E, F, G, A, B, seven syllables (derived from solfege) are used to refer to the seven diatonic tones of C major: Do (in French Do or Ut), Re, Mi, Fa, Sol (never So), La, Si (never Ti), with some variations and adaptations according to country, language and alphabet, followed by the accidental (natural is clearly most often omitted) and then the major/minor qualifier as needed."
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, I was being too general, but like @cactus-head pointed out, it is hard to be sure how the OP is intending to use Mixcraft relating to the inquiry.

And heck, I know just enough basic music theory to have seen a comparison in passing that discusses this.

I primarily work with recording/recorded audio. Compose by ear. Let someone else do the heavy thinking...
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
diogobaixerasg

Post by diogobaixerasg »

Hi, everyone.

First, thank for the replies.

Second, answering regarding the use, it's to change the letter notation system to the solfegio system. Like, instead of reading 'c' i would read 'do', instead of 'd' i would read 'ré', instead of 'flat' i'd read 'bemol', and so on, and so on. I was educated in that system and, except for guitar/bass amateur players (and that's like a super specific case), that's the norm around Brazil. Also it seems that it also affects Hz, but i'd have to research it more. But, to make it clear, just to write what i have just written i had to research again the correspondent letters, so chaging the default system would make everything easier.

Third
...that being said, it dawned on me that one could set up a custom drum map on the Piano role. You don't have to use drums, you could use notes but you can set up the mapping to be the solfege. I did a quick example using C as the root key.
. Thank you for your advise, but given that i was trying to change it before starting to play around, i believe i am not really aware on how to create and use that custom map, but i'll look into it in the future. For now, i just would like to know how to change it all from the default US setting.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

diogobaixerasg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:02 am Hi, everyone.

First, thank for the replies.

Second, answering regarding the use, it's to change the letter notation system to the solfegio system. Like, instead of reading 'c' i would read 'do', instead of 'd' i would read 'ré', instead of 'flat' i'd read 'bemol', and so on, and so on.
You are right. I am of French Canadian descent. I remember my mother saying, in French, the sharps were diese and the flats were bemol.. An do, re, where do was the root note of the scale you were playing int an NOT C it could have been a D if playing in D
I hope this helps

Cheers
Pierre
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

There's no need to think too deeply about this - it's a simple direct translation like any other. Tonic Solfa (solfège) has NOTHING to do with it. Here in Spain:

C = Do
D = Re
E = Mi
F = Fa
G = Sol
A = La
B = Si

Everything else is the same as in English - here's a simple chord progression in various keys, in English then Spanish:

G / Em / C / D7
Sol / Mim / Do / Re7

A / F#m / D / E7
La / Fa#m / Re / Mi7

F / Dm / Bb / C7
Fa / Rem / Sib / Do7

So for Spanish you'd just have to change the names of the seven notes from C, D, E, F, G A, B --> Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Si
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO 3rd Gen --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio