mono vs stereo versions of a plugin

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Scythe

mono vs stereo versions of a plugin

Post by Scythe »

When to use the mono version of a plug-in vs the stereo version?
for eg. waves plug-ins come in the mono version and stereo.

also when to use VST3 vs VST?

Should vocal tracks use mono or stereo version of plug-ins?

Thank you
cactus-head

Re: mono vs stereo versions of a plugin

Post by cactus-head »

Try and match your signal input. Most vocals are coming in mono. Most non synthetic instruments are coming in mono. A synthesizer or eletric keyboard is probably coming in stereo. Most virtual synths are output in stereo.

You'll have to match it according to you desired result and also taking into account the original signal.

VST is tried and true - most of the time VST will "just work." VST3 works but there are still issues in the development. So many VST3s are just conversions from VST and it seems developers take shortcuts and miss things that prevent the VST3 from being universally usable. They can be buggy more often than VST in my experience.

I've heard there are a lot of new options and advantages with VST3 but I don't program them and only know their behavior through use.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

awesome! ty - since posting I figured out the signal matching. Now I'll stick to VST versions of plugins if possible.
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

cactus-head wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:43 am Try and match your signal input. Most vocals are coming in mono. Most non synthetic instruments are coming in mono. A synthesizer or eletric keyboard is probably coming in stereo. Most virtual synths are output in stereo.

You'll have to match it according to you desired result and also taking into account the original signal.

VST is tried and true - most of the time VST will "just work." VST3 works but there are still issues in the development. So many VST3s are just conversions from VST and it seems developers take shortcuts and miss things that prevent the VST3 from being universally usable. They can be buggy more often than VST in my experience.

I've heard there are a lot of new options and advantages with VST3 but I don't program them and only know their behavior through use.
good to know C-H.
I'm on a big learning curve and to know what will JUST work is what I need for me.
I have always been on the trailing end of technology as opposed to cutting edge because trailing has bugs worked out.
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

hpharley90 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:41 pm I have always been on the trailing end of technology as opposed to cutting edge because trailing has bugs worked out.
Me too. And my statement is really opinion - so I'm no authority on VST2 vs VST3.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

cactus-head wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:43 am Try and match your signal input. Most vocals are coming in mono. Most non synthetic instruments are coming in mono. A synthesizer or eletric keyboard is probably coming in stereo. Most virtual synths are output in stereo.

Sums it up for me. VST3 really buys 99.99% of all music makers nothing. f Steinberg. Something new for the sake of something new. I avoid VST3 like the plague.

Mono vs stereo is mostly as stated above but it's all personal pref. I'd try both and see what works. I mostly want mono, even with synths, but that's me
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

I have a questions about this. Let's say I record vocals in mono (with a single cable in either the left or right channel in your audio interface). So the result is the vocals are playing out of both left and right channels evenly. I would use a mono plugin for that right? But let's say I add some panning on the vocal track in areas. Is it now considered stereo? Should I then use the stereo versions of my plugins, such as compressors?

Thanks
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,
But let's say I add some panning on the vocal track in areas. Is it now considered stereo? Should I then use the stereo versions of my plugins, such as compressors?
Interesting question. The audio file created from the recording will be mono but you can shift the signal volume from left to right with panning. There is still output going to the left and right audio outputs of your system and switching the volume balance from left to right will still function to that output - but the file is still mono. So hitting left and right channels simultaneously doesn't mean it's "true stereo" in the sense of spacial dimension. And it ultimately has nothing to do with whatever effect you want to use - unless you want to keep it's sense of spacial dimension (or lack of) the same.

It's not a stereo signal that has spacial depth and crossover between channels. A true stereo signal would have ambience bleed between channels that would be captured based on the position of the sound source relative to the mic. Two mics would capture a stereo signal with spacial and positional relevance. You're only getting one input with a single channel and mic or DI so even if the final playback output of the recorded mono signal is coming out of both left and right channels, it is still a single directional source in the world. Again, the effects you use only matter to you and the sound you want to get.

A shorter answer: you can use whatever you want - stereo or mono effects. It depends on what sound you want in the end. A stereo effect will often add "widening" or ambience to a digital sound to give it perceived space or dimension. In the case of your mono track going into a stereo plugin, the output is still going to be two channels but the origin from the mono track on each channel going into the effect will be the same (unless you pan it before going into the effect). Often guitar or vocals will be recorded multiple times on mono tracks. They will then be panned left and right to double or triple the fullness of the sound. This will then be run through stereo effects to add dimension and space. There's no right or wrong. Go for the sound you want. There's so much flexibility in digital recording. Stereo effects might let you have different settings for each channel under the assumption that they are going in a little different from each other as true stereo. A mono effect might handle the whole signal uniformly.
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

Thanks for your great insights cactus-head!
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

When I tried using a mono version of a Waves plugin on an acoustic guitar that was recorded in mono, I could not pan the audio of the track in Mixcraft. You need to use the stereo version of the plugin in order to pan.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When you recorded the guitar, did you arm the track on the left? If the track was armed for Stereo, and the audio was actually in the left or right channel, then you would have a stereo file with no audio in one channel and that won't pan as you expect.

To get around this, you could right-click on the recording and select Properties, and then set the clip to the channel that has the audio: right or left. (Most commonly Input 1 is on the left).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

Hi Greg,

I recorded to the left channel of my audio interface and correspondingly to the left channel in Mixcraft. This results in a mono signal with the same playback coming out of both left and right channels. I am able to pan left and right to emphasize volume more on the left or right but I must use a stereo plugins for that to work. With a mono Waves plugin activated, panning is not possible.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Which Mono Waves plugin, exactly?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

CLA Guitars
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I just tried CLA Guitars and had no issues with panning, though I was using the mono/stereo version.

M