mono vs stereo versions of a plugin

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: mono vs stereo versions of a plugin

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Same here. My only choices are CLA Guitars Stereo and CLA Guitars Mono/Stereo. I tried both VST3 and VST2.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

A mono only version isn't in plugin manager.

M
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

I must have been using the mono/stereo version. I'll have to test this again, but I'm fairly positive that using the mono/stereo version doesn't allow panning to occur if the original source is mono (recorded with a single input). I am fully prepared to admit that I might have been doing something wrong though.

Anyone know why there's a mono/stereo version and a stereo version of this plugin? Why would I choose one over the other? the Waves CLA-2A Compressor is simply either mono or stereo.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

unclemeat wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:04 am When I tried using a mono version of a Waves plugin on an acoustic guitar that was recorded in mono, I could not pan the audio of the track in Mixcraft. You need to use the stereo version of the plugin in order to pan.
Just for my own clarity, using the track panning slider in mixcraft you can pan it without the effect, correct? If the effect isn't on the track, it will pan but once you use the effect it will no longer let you pan or rather, panning the track seems to have no effect on the output. Is that correct?
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

cactus-head wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:19 pm If the effect isn't on the track, it will pan but once you use the effect it will no longer let you pan or rather, panning the track seems to have no effect on the output. Is that correct?
Correct
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Sounds like the mono version of that particular effect takes any input, left right or stereo, and just ouputs a balanced mono. It may have a stereo widening, but it probably always balances the signal. So that shows you a difference there might be in using a mono plugin or a stereo plugin. So the discussion is still poignant. A plugin may be programmed to behave a certain way and the final plugin you would use will be determined by how you want things to sound. If you still need to pan after the effect has been added in this case, then you would need the stereo version of that plugin it seems.