Use Audio Vst as Midi Vst in MC 10

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RobAsticles

Use Audio Vst as Midi Vst in MC 10

Post by RobAsticles »

Hello ,

is there a way to use a Audio Vst as a Midi Vst. I know, a reverb-plugin doesnt make sense as midi-plugin.

In my case the problem is, that some vsts fom "J's MIDI tools 64bit - 03-09-09.zip" (e.g. ChannelFIlter, MidiTranspose, AftertouchtoCC), PIZ Midi Plugins( midiCHordSplit, midiSostenuto, midiStrum..) or ReaPlugins are recognized as audio-vst although they are used for midi data.

Is there a way to use these plugins in the vst-instrument row to use them as midi-source (new feature in MC10) for the following plugins/instruments.

in Tracktion it is no problem to chain all these plugins. However in Mixcraft you can only use these plugins in the later audio-slots (with the result, that their midi-output is lost).

Is there a way in MC10 or is there a possibility to change these plugins into intrument-mode.

Thanks and best regards
cactus-head

Re: Use Audio Vst as Midi Vst in MC 10

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

It's hard to understand what you mean by audio VST but I'll assume you mean VSTs that function as effects rather than VSTs that function as instrument synths.

If the VST effect outputs MIDI data, that MIDI data can be captured on a different track in MC 10. There is a button on the effect itself within Mixcraft that allows the VST to become an output source that can be selected as an input source on another track. The effect will still be listed in the effects group and not the instrument group but its output can be routed elsewhere.

That designation is actually in the design of the VST itself. The developer chooses whether it is an instrument an effect or a MIDI effect. The DAW determines how to handle it. If the VST has been designed as an instrument - for example NoteMapper or BlueArp that only outputs MIDI data (no synthesis), it will be listed as an instrument. Again, the developer determines in the code of the VST what type it is.
BillB

Re: Use Audio Vst as Midi Vst in MC 10

Post by BillB »

Hi Rob

I don't know if this might help:
https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic. ... 58#p150758

My purpose was to link a MIDI-generating VST to a MIDI output port for hardware control, but using Kushview might provide the internal linking you are looking for. Costs nothing but your time to check it out.