Movement of mouse cursor over Mixcraft interface

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

unclemeat

Movement of mouse cursor over Mixcraft interface

Post by unclemeat »

Hi All,

Since upgrading to Mixcraft 10, I've been experiencing clicking and sound cutting out if I move my mouse cursor anywhere over the Mixcraft interface during playback. It's really exaggerated if I move the mouse quickly and erratically. I didn't experience this issue with version 9. Has anybody else encountered this issue?

It doesn't make any difference if I use my laptop mousepad or my wireless Logitech mouse. Also, I'm using the ASIO driver with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The same problem occurs if I use the Core Audio driver, but it doesn't seem to happen with the Wave driver. I can' t use the Wave driver though because when I space bar click, there is too much of a delay with on/off of playback.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Movement of mouse cursor over Mixcraft interface

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Similar issues sometimes happened with earlier versions of Mixcraft, too. Check and see if there are any updates for your computer's graphics driver, because that has helped others.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

Thanks Greg, I actually found those older posts and I have done that. It didn't make a differnce.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Does it do it with the internal soundcard on your computer?

How is your 2i2 connected to your computer? Make sure its cables aren't on or right next to your video monitor. If you're using a USB hub, try plugging directly into your computer instead.

Greg
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

Hi Greg,

I tried switching to the internal soundcard and the same problem occurs. The 2i2 is connected via USB to a Dell USB Thunderbolt dock. I use a Dell XPS Core I7 1oth gen laptop with 64mb ram and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti graphics card.

Again I didn't have the issue with Mixcraft 9. The only other thing that's changed since v9 on my machine is an "upgrade" from Windows 10 to 11.

Thanks again!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's not a Mixcraft 10 issue, I think you're the first person who has reported this for Mixcraft 10. Is your laptop plugged in?

Make sure it's not in Windows power-saving mode.

Greg
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

I'm plugged in and maximum power is applied. I actually just opened Mixcraft 9 and loaded a song. If i really go crazy with the mouse, the same thing happens, but it's much less obvious. I never noticed that before because I don't generally go crazy with the mouse - also I was on Windows 10 when I was using Mixcraft 9 so maybe the issue wasn't there at all under Windows 10. However, in Mixcraft 10 / Windows 11, it's much more pronounced. Any movement of the mouse causes a stutter.

Unless there are other suggestions, I might try a software rebuild of my machine.
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

Can you just plug your 2i2 usb right into your laptop?
That’s how mine is.
I have no issues or sounds.
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

Thanks I'll try that, but the laptop only has USB C connections so an adapter will be needed. Also, the previous experiment using the built-in sound card and not the 2i2 didn't make any change so I'm not sure this will. I'll report back!
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

understood. out of luck
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

I don't know whether connected or not but I also experienced some sound issues when upgrading to Mixcraft 10/Windows 11 which never got resolved.

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?t=29872

I don't have the mouse issue but the pops and crackles still happen periodically. Will be interested to see if you actually get to the bottom of it.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:50 pm I don't know whether connected or not but I also experienced some sound issues when upgrading to Mixcraft 10/Windows 11 which never got resolved.

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?t=29872

I don't have the mouse issue but the pops and crackles still happen periodically. Will be interested to see if you actually get to the bottom of it.
Hi,

I replied to your post.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

david@xmeasures.com wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:22 pm Thanks I'll try that, but the laptop only has USB C connections so an adapter will be needed. Also, the previous experiment using the built-in sound card and not the 2i2 didn't make any change so I'm not sure this will. I'll report back!
Hi,

Get the problem to happen again, then quit Mixcraft 10 and send us your Mixcraft10-Log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft10-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\Logs

Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log10.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file (and dmp file if there's a new one) along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

Done, thanks!
unclemeat

Re: Movement of mouse cursor over Mixcraft interface (crackling/ popping)

Post by unclemeat »

Hi all,

I wanted to provide an update on my situation in case it can help others. Acoustica support has been responsive and suggested that my issue was a grounding issue, most likely with my Dell Thunderdock (WD19TB). Support insisted that this is not an issue with the software. I spent my Sunday exploring the idea of a grounding issue along with many other things to try and resolve the issue, including updating every driver imaginable on my machine, including the firmware of both the computer and the dock. Indeed, if I playback in Mixcraft 10 while not connected to my dock, it sounds clear, but unfortunately I need the dock to connect my Focusrite 2i2, external monitors, and other USB devices. I also learned that the popping / crackling sounds will only occur in Mixcraft 10 when I move the mouse cursor over an "occupied" area of a lane/track within the Mixcraft interface. Moving the mouse cursor over a blank area does not cause the noise issue. I have not experienced any sound issues at all with other software on my machine. At the end of the day, I finally decided to connect my older Dell laptop that is still running Windows 10 to my Thunderbolt dock (it's compatible). I downloaded Mixcraft 10 on that machine and no popping sound issues are occurring during playback. This of course lead me to think that it is indeed a software issue of some sort (not a grounding issue) and is an issue with Windows 11 / Thunderbolt. However, I just tested Mixcraft 9 on my newer Windows 11 machine which is still installed and I have no sound issues. Logically, this leads me to believe that this is an issue with Mixcraft 10 under Windows 11 using a Dell Thunderport Dock. I'm at a loss as to what to do though. Should I just use Mixcraft 9 even though I paid for the upgrade, or should I "downgrade" and re-install Windows 10 on my newer computer which would be a colossal pain. Or will Acousitca consider that there's something worthy to look into here with their software since again, there is no issue with Mixcraft 9 in my current environment.