Sound Design plugins

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

ppayne

Sound Design plugins

Post by ppayne »

Hello everyone

Do any of you know a better all in one plugin than Infiltrator 2 from Devious Maschines or Shaperbox from cableguys?

I'm interested in sound design possibilities and the functionality of creating good playable presets. I have always used Shaperbox until now. However, I don't have enough options to assign the settings to Midi CCs, velocity or aftertouch.

Infiltrator 2 can do a lot more. However, the plugin also costs 116 euros. It makes me wonder if there is something better out there.

Because you can't route the midi data in an instrument preset to the effects in Mixcraft, the only thing left is an all in one plugin where I can save presets inside of the plugin, so that I can use the fx plugin on a track. Otherwise I would simply connect the existing effects in series in an instrument preset and assign the MIDI modules. Unfortunately it does not work.

Now I'm going to buy an all in one plugin. Does anyone know anything better than Infiltrator 2?

I would be grateful for any ideas from you.

Patrick
mixyguy2

Re: Sound Design plugins

Post by mixyguy2 »

I'd answer further if I had any idea what you're talking about. :) What kind of plugins are they?
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Haha :D

This is a plugin where you can change the sound with various effects. There are simply many effects in a single plugin, with which you can change the sound as you wish using many LFOs and self-defined curves. So gater, formant, ring modulation, phaser, delays, stutter, drive, loops, fm, etc. All in a single plugin and freely configurable in a effect chain. Ultimately to design the sound and create a cool playable instrument based from any available audio signal. In my case from existing VSTis. But you can use it for everything.

All parameters can be configured as desired and triggered via MIDI if needed.

This effect is also better on CPU usage than connecting many effects in series via the DAW. But that's just a nice side effect.

However, the integrated effects are intended to transform the sound. Something like a good quality reverb is still used separately because they are better.

Patrick
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Surge has pretty deep programmability. I personally don't use it because it has too many controls and options but I definitely appreciate its depth and capabilities. From what you describe, I think surge would be something you could really dig into. And it's open source with many many individuals contributing both code and patches.

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

cactus-head wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:27 am Surge has pretty deep programmability. I personally don't use it because it has too many controls and options but I definitely appreciate its depth and capabilities. From what you describe, I think surge would be something you could really dig into. And it's open source with many many individuals contributing both code and patches.

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/
Wow! This plugin is overkill even for me :mrgreen:
I'll try it out anyway.

Normally I take a sound that I like from various existing vstis and adjust or kill them with a mutli effect plugin until it fits in the mix.

I'll take a closer look at this synth plugin now. Maybe I even want to do all of this possibilities :D

Thanks for the tip cactus
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Along with the main synth, there is an independent multi-effects unit in surge. So you could just throw the effects unit on a track by itself without the synth. Both the effects and the synth can be run as standalone applications or you could use them as separate VSTs in your DAW.

I keep meaning to get into them because they really seem awesome, but I don't have the brain power right now to learn a new synth.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

In my search for better Midi routing, I stumbled across the Patchwork plugin. I can now configure everything within Mixcraft inside of this plugin. Now an all in one plugin like Infiltrator is no longer that important, because I can simply control all effect parameters and save everything as a preset, as I imagine.

I'll still watch surge though. These plugins are all really complex stuff. You really need some time to test everything :shock:
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

ppayne wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:24 pm In my search for better Midi routing, I stumbled across the Patchwork plugin. I can now configure everything within Mixcraft inside of this plugin. Now an all in one plugin like Infiltrator is no longer that important, because I can simply control all effect parameters and save everything as a preset, as I imagine.
Oooo. That sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to take a look at that.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

cactus-head wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:47 am
ppayne wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:24 pm In my search for better Midi routing, I stumbled across the Patchwork plugin. I can now configure everything within Mixcraft inside of this plugin. Now an all in one plugin like Infiltrator is no longer that important, because I can simply control all effect parameters and save everything as a preset, as I imagine.
Oooo. That sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to take a look at that.
I have made an extra post for that with my conclusion after testing 3 plugin hosts

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?t=30058