Media Players (no sound)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kr236rk

Media Players (no sound)

Post by kr236rk »

Hi,

Just mixed down a project to WAV & MP3 on MC10, then MC8, which play the project fine, but when I go to preview the WAV/MP3 file, there is no sound.

I have Windows Media Player and VLC Media Player on a Windows 10 pc.

The files play on a different pc using those players, but not on my DAW pc. That of course is a pain.

Any ideas please?

Thanks!
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper
Acoustica Greg

Re: Media Players (no sound)

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Do they play if you quit Mixcraft first? Two points:

1. If you're using WaveRT exclusive mode in Mixcraft's sound device preferences, other programs won't be able to play sound while Mixcraft is running. This is one of the ways that exclusive mode allows for lower latency.
2. This can also happen if the sample rate you're using in Mixcraft is different than the sample rate you're using for Windows. Go into the Windows sound control panel and check the properties of your default playback device. It's probably either 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz, so you could just try switching Mixcraft's sample rate to the one of those you're not using.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Thanks Greg,

It's a new issue, I never had this before, so the Mixcraft settings are not the cause.

It started with no media-player(s) audio.

I checked - unplugged my interface - & found that Windows Media Player (default) played the files as normal. So big relief, nothing wrong with the project I mixed down.

It's Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, 3rd Generation.

So I downloaded the latest driver for Scarlett, just in case. That got the sound back, but the playback was glitchy, it stuttered & crunched.

Eventually, I took the Scarlett off & replaced it with an older interface, an M-Audio, M-Track, Mark II. The M-Audio played everything as normal, no issues.

Have raised a ticket with Focusrite.

The solution will probably be to completely uninstall Focusrite, & then do a reinstall. It feels to me as if one of its software components is corrupted.

Thankful I held onto my old M-Tracks, they come in useful at times like this! :)
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you still couldn't hear Media Player when Mixcraft wasn't running, then you probably just needed to change your Windows default playback device to the Focusrite.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Thanks. It was already set to Focusrite.

That hardware was plugged to the pc all the while.

This issue only arose yesterday - never happened before.

Mixcraft played through Focusrite - WAV and MP3 files wouldn't - just silence.

After I downloaded the latest Focusrite drivers, I got sound for audio files, but it was glitchy through Focusrite.

Those files played as normal using the M-Audio.
Ric