VST3 - yes or no?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Frantiac

VST3 - yes or no?

Post by Frantiac »

I know this has been talked about a lot in these forums but when I get the option to install VST2 or VST3 which should I install, bearing in mind that, as you can see,I have an old setup? It looks as though things are inevitably moving to VST3 but I hear people complaining about things in these forums and the answer is often try the VST2 version instead of the VST3 (particularly with Waves). Until now I've always installed the VST2 version - is it time to change?
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO 3rd Gen --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
Acoustica Greg

Re: VST3 - yes or no?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Generally speaking, people who are using older versions of Mixcraft would have more issues with certain VST3 plugins. But even with Mixcraft 10 or Mixcraft 9.0 build 470, it doesn't hurt to install both, and then if you're having a problem with VST2, you can try VST3, and vice versa. In most cases, either one would work just fine.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

I mostly install vst3 now and don't have problem, however sometimes presets will load in vst2 that I have no way to load in vst3. This is common with Plugin Alliance plugins for instance, so vst2 for me for those. For example, the Blackbox HG-2 has presets that seem built into vst2 that I can't access in vst3.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

I usually install vst3 too. But with Ample Sound Bass vst3 I have a latency problem for example. I use the 64 bit vst2, which is much faster. Overall, I have the impression that some vst2 plugins have better performance than vst3.
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

so far no issues with the VST3 I have been using
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Frantiac wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:46 am I know this has been talked about a lot in these forums but when I get the option to install VST2 or VST3 which should I install, bearing in mind that, as you can see,I have an old setup? It looks as though things are inevitably moving to VST3 but I hear people complaining about things in these forums and the answer is often try the VST2 version instead of the VST3 (particularly with Waves). Until now I've always installed the VST2 version - is it time to change?
IMO, no. The odds of VST3 buying you anything are remote and people have had problems with VST3s (not a Mixcraft thing, I mean in general). I only install VST3 when I have no other choice...