Remix Sound of Shadows - your feedback is welcome

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ppayne

Remix Sound of Shadows - your feedback is welcome

Post by ppayne »

Hi guys,

I have a little more time and I'm working on a remix for a SKIO song contest with Mixcraft 10. The song is by Matoma & JP Cooper - Sound of Shadows.

https://skiomusic.com/pjp

As always, your opinion is welcome and always valuable to me.

Patrick
TrevsAudio

Re: Remix Sound of Shadows - your feedback is welcome

Post by TrevsAudio »

Very catchy, Patrick - you got me whistling it around the house. :D

All the best for the song contest. 8)
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm not sure if the drums have enough pressure on other speakers. I mixed everything with my Sony headphones and Morphit correction. For me, the drums have a lot of pressure when I hear loudly what is intended. During the mixdown I take out Morphit, which makes everything sound more linear in the wav file. I wonder if that sounds full of pressure when other people hear it.

Do you have the impression that the drums are full of pressure or rather boring?
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

I took another listen. To be fair, it's not a genre that I am familiar with. I also listen 99 percent of the time on 'phones and yes, they do sound a bit 'boomy'. But again, to be fair, I use Sennheiser HD650's which are a bit bass baised.

At low volume (don't want to disturb the missus :D ) on my bookshelf Behringer MS 16's, they don't seem to punch through the mix.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Thank you Trevor for your effort. It doesn't matter if it's not your genre. I'm sure you can still assess it quite well :D I'll try to compare it with similar reference songs. I'm always completely unsure whether what I'm hearing will reach others through other speakers.
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

HI Ppayne,

I had a listen. I think it's quite well done overall. It's a catchy tune. I like the guitar work. The only thing I noticed that I wasn't totally sure of is the snare drum seems to have some volume issues to my ears. The volume seems to fade away at some points. I'm not sure if you are ducking the sound or if it's intentional. Everything else seems well balanced to my ears through my Yamaha Monitors and subwoofer. Good job!
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

unclemeat wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:18 pm HI Ppayne,

I had a listen. I think it's quite well done overall. It's a catchy tune. I like the guitar work. The only thing I noticed that I wasn't totally sure of is the snare drum seems to have some volume issues to my ears. The volume seems to fade away at some points. I'm not sure if you are ducking the sound or if it's intentional. Everything else seems well balanced to my ears through my Yamaha Monitors and subwoofer. Good job!
Hi unclemeat

Thanks for your feedback. First of all, that reassures me that it sounds fundamentally balanced. I also don't have much compression to keep the dynamic. The song itself is a little boring for me because of the chorus.The synth part and the guitar save the song a bit, I think. If the compressor comes over there, there's not much left. But in a competition you can't choose that :mrgreen:

The thing about the snare is 100 percent true. that comes from infiltrator. I pushed all the drums through some effects. I wasn't sure whether it was a good or bad thing that the volume varied. Do you have the impression that this would be noticeable to the normal listener as bad or only if you are looking for abnormalities in the mix?

Do you have the impression that the drums are punchy or do you not notice that in a positive way?

Patrick
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

Hi Ppayne,

I think that some might notice the drum volume issues and some might not. For me, I find it quite noticeable but I listen to a lot of music and tend to listen to music with a critical ear. I also find that separating yourself from a track that you've listened to hundreds of time over the course of working on a track and having someone else have a listen independently can be very revealing. On that note, I've started waiting about a week after I'm "done" a track to give my brain a break from it, because working on a song intensely really messes with your head and your perceptions. I inevitably find some sound quality issues after taking that break. Anyway, I digress. If you have the opportunity, I would try and get that snare drum to be more balanced. Otherwise I had no issues with the punchiness, etc.

Good luck!
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Thx for your feedback unclemeat
joss

Post by joss »

Hello ppayne.

I liked your theme, it has strength and dynamics.
A bit more bass in the percussions wouldn't have been bad in my opinion, but that's how I like it too.
Perhaps the reverberation of the voice is somewhat excessive but not much and perhaps this is done on purpose since it gives it extra energy.
I suppose you have already published it in the contest but I hope that my modest opinion is still useful for the future.
Congratulations.
All the best. :D
Sorry for the translation, it may create some confusion.
I also apologize if it took me a while to respond, there is a time difference in the country where I live and it could coincide at night.