Sidechain only works sometimes?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

inertias

Sidechain only works sometimes?

Post by inertias »

Here's a .gif of what my current problem is. Hopefully it's not too hard to see.

the track 5.1 is being used to trigger volume ducking of track 11. You can see in shaperbox that it works the first time. However, as the video shows, when I try to redo the playback, it just stops detection until I select the track again in the sidechain source. Is this a glitch or do I just not know what I'm doing? :lol:

Thank you in advance and sorry for making a similar post about this issue before.
cactus-head

Re: Sidechain only works sometimes?

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I played around with it a bit more and I still don't quite get the volume ducker. To me it doesn't seem to work as I would expect. Perhaps it's instantaneous to be used with a kick drum or something short. And the volume graph seems to affect the output regardless of the sidechain source trigger.

However, using the compressor does exactly what I would expect. In the attached mp3, once the voice-over starts you'll hear the guitar music volume compress and so the voice is a little louder seeming. When the voice stops, the volume of the guitar returns to normal volume with a slight gradation from low to normal.

shaperbox compressor.mp3
(532.33 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

shaperbox 3 compressor.JPG
shaperbox 3 compressor.JPG (78.38 KiB) Viewed 9944 times
inertias

Post by inertias »

Hey thanks again for the reply,

Sadly no, this still shows the same behavior. In fact, I tried using Densitymkiii which is another compressor that allows sidechainging and I get the same issue. The ducking works the first time, but when I try to restart playback, it just stops working as if the sidechain source was never selected.

Above shows the issue again. See how it registers at first but then just nothing after I restart the measure by clicking in the timeline? Then I have to keep reselecting the sidechain source for it to work one time only.

No idea if this is a bug or if I'm missing something again.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Try going more basic to understand the functionality of the plugin. Don't use Kontakt because there may be variables there that are altering the situation. If the Kontakt playback is triggered by MIDI, clicking in the timeline may be positioning the cursor at a spot where playback is not coming through audio properly and not being read by the plugin until playback is stopped and restarted.

Try using two wave files on two tracks that are already recorded in order to figure out the setup of Shaperbox. Use one audio file to trigger the compression or volume on the other. I can get the compressor in Shaperbox to work no problem out of the box. If I have a bit of time I'll post a quick video. However, I cannot understand how the volume ducking is supposed to work. It has three settings Drums, General and Complex. Without delving into the manual, I doubt I'll figure it out.

In your GIFs nothing looks wrong from what I can tell. The only thing questionable in my mind is Kontakt.
Rotton Cabbidge

Post by Rotton Cabbidge »

Hey, I think I'm seeing this same issue! I'm trying to set up a sidechain compressor to cut down guitar when I've got my main vocals going. I've tried with two separate compressors (DensitymkIII and MCompressor), and it seems to be fine at first, display shows proper response to my vocal submix kicking in, and guitar track is appropriately reduced. But if I rewind or stop/start playback, the vocal might stop appearing in the sidechain input. I can sometimes get it back by changing the sidechain source and then putting it back, but not reliably, and that's hardly a solution anyways...

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, or maybe related, but the Main Vocals track I'm using as a sidechain source (it's a Submix, and there are multiple children inside it) is inside a parent "All Vocals" Submix. "All Vocals" is mainly just an organizational thing, it's got fader=0 and no additional processing, so I wouldn't expect it to have any impact on using "Main Vocals" Post-Fader for sidechain...

(Actually I just tried moving Main Vocals out so it's a top-level track, and my compressor is still missing the sidechain input, so likely not related to that)