Herr Mannelig Epic Cover

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RStudio

Herr Mannelig Epic Cover

Post by RStudio »

Hi friends, I made a new epic cover of a Swedish folk ballad called Herr Mannelig. Enjoy listening!
https://youtu.be/yeKyuUObND4
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Re: Herr Mannelig Epic Cover

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Another nice effort. I like the sound of your orchestras. What effects do you use in mastering?
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
RStudio

Post by RStudio »

TDR Nova, Bassroom, Virtual Tape Machines, Balancer, Slate Digital, Ozone 9 (Dyn. EQ, Imager, Maximizer)
Screenshot 2024-01-10 125848.png
Screenshot 2024-01-10 125848.png (58.32 KiB) Viewed 40383 times
It's kind of like my mastering template. I use this chain of plugins in all my tracks.
I am not a professional mastering engineer and I don't always know what I am doing. I don't have expensive equipment or a home studio. At all. Just a mouse, a computer keyboard and my own hands. That's it. When mixing I use cheap headphones that I bought about 8 years ago probably. My monitors/stereo speakers are even older and about 20 years old. For final post-processing I used to put most of the plug-ins on the master bus because my computer resources are limited and I am not able to put the same chain of plug-ins on several sub-mix tracks at once. I'm not used to doing mastering on sub-mix tracks. I'm a regular room composer, so I'm not at the mercy of an ideology that dictates that there should be only one limiter on the master bus, and that most of the mastering should be done on sub-mix tracks.

I used to export multitracks and mix them already in a new project, but over the years I've come to the conclusion that if you write a lot of music, you need to have:
Instrumental Template
Mastering template.

So mixing, mastering and arranging are done in one project. The computer doesn't like it very much, but I have to compromise and make bounce tracks for the most demanding vsts. Since I often use kontakt 5, I just save the settings for the current instrument to a separate nkm file so that I don't have to restore all the settings again in the future, and then delete it from the project. This saves some computer resources and reduces the load on the system.

Maybe in the future I will reconsider my approach to the mastering process in general. But that's the way I work at the moment.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

That's all we can do...do the best with the resources we have. You seem to have it sussed though. I wish I could knock out projects as quickly as you do but I struggle for inspiration at times. I approach my mastering slightly differently but thanks for the detailed explanation.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI