Changing PC

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Freerskier

Changing PC

Post by Freerskier »

Hi,

My old tower PC is dying and I've bought a new laptop. I'm on Mixcraft 9 Pro

1) Is there/does anyone have a guide of whats to do so that all my existing songs/projects work when I reinstall Mixcraft on the new machine.
2) I have the Korg Legacy collection s A VSTpluc in on the old PC C drive. I'd like to move this to an external drive - again any tips there on how to do this so that again, Mixcraft recognizes the new location on the new machine?
3) I also have NI Komplete with a bag of synts as well as Kontact etc set-up all on the C drive: - so again, any help here to seamlessly re-install on then laptop

Be interested to her other people experiences of changing PC - a pretty much everyday experience in this world of never ending upgrades. Apologies if there's a thread on this already of course and please point me in the right direction if so. Cheers. :o
Acoustica Greg

Re: Changing PC

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

By default, Mixcraft puts its project folders in a Mixcraft Projects folder that's inside your Documents folder. You could copy that to the new computer. This assumes you didn't change the Default Project Folder setting.

If you tend to drag in files from various locations on your computer, it would be better to use the "Copy Project Files to..." option that's in Mixcraft's file menu. This option will gather all the files you need for a project into one zip file or folder, even the files aren't all in the project folder.

For the plugins, it would probably be better to just install them on the new computer instead of trying to copy them over. You might miss some files, and some complex plugins might require installation to work properly.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Thanks Greg.

Yes - I did change the default setting to an external drive for all projects. I plan to plug this into the new drive.

I presume the Mixcraft VSTs will just work?
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Most of the VSTs these days allow you to install on more than one device anyway and activation is usually handled within the installation apps, which you can just download again or within your web account. I also have the Korg 4 collection.

Just go back to the original websites and download the installation apps that will register your VSTs to your new machine. You can set new install locations at this time. In some cases, you might have to deactivate your old PC from the website/app.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Gonna sound dumb here but you mention copying the folders from 1 machine to another - how?
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Freerskier wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:57 am Gonna sound dumb here but you mention copying the folders from 1 machine to another - how?
External drive, memory card, thumb drive etc. You'll have to do some reinstalling of vst/i if you have any that need it.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Or upload to a cloud service like Dropbox, WeTransfer, Google Drive, etc.
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Thanks - The default project folders re all on an external drive already. So, ahem, I would juts plug this into the new PC.

What about things like updated/save/user presets for acoustica synths and FX that I tweaked and saved - is there a default path for these I need to be aware of to go and then copy/move these etc?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Here are the various locations of custom presets:

Virtual instrument preset folder:
%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\InstPresets

Effect presets folder:
%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\FX

Effect chain presets:
C:\ProgramData\Acoustica\Mixcraft\MetaPresets7

Samples needed for custom Omni Sampler presets:
C:\ProgramData\Acoustica\Mixcraft\Samples

Greg
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Particularly for Greg...

As my project and song folders were on an external drive, I plugged this into the new PC and on the example of 1 song (I have around 40) some of the .ogg's are missing etc. Would it there for be best to use the "Copy Files..." procedure described, even though I am copying to the same physical drive the project folders are currently on? That test song was also originally composed on Mixcraft 7 as well but saved as 9 (I have incrementally upgraded from around V4 over the years) - did that have a different file/location structure etc. - Does "copy files..." accommodate all of this.

If I used "Copy fiels...", would it make sense to just copy it to the existing projects folder or a different location? Its all on the same drive and most of the files in a song are of course already there as its an external SSD. Would this "sort things out", kind of refresh everything and have every component of the songs all in the same place?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Oggs are missing? Are those from Mixcraft's library? Which ones, exactly? Maybe you had MVP loops or some additional sound pack installed on the other computer that's not on the new computer? If that's the case, you just need to install that.

The "Copy Project Files..." option is handy if not all the audio files are in the project folder. Let's say you dragged in a MP3 file from your desktop and you were using that in your project. If you just copied the project folder over, it would be missing that MP3 file.

Greg
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Thanks Greg.

No additional .oggs or sound packs purchased - just the vanilla Pro Studio 9. Have all the ogg's remained since say version 4 of mixcraft?

Ill try the "Copy File..." to route and just copy them to another spot on the same external ssd. However, this would that when I fire up Mixcraft the "songs" and all their constituents are then not in the correct song folders (as they are now but incomplete) etc. So, won't this proliferate/defer the problem till later as if I then start editing/changing the songs and saving to the new copied to location all those components will still be scattered etc and not in the correct file structire..
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What are some of the names of the missing ogg files?

Greg
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

I've only tested the switchover to the new PC with 1 song (out of 40) so far. Not sitting in front of my music PC but its something like irish flute 3.
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

I found the missing Ogg when plugging the external drive back into the original computer - it was in the same folder as all the other .oggs fro the song/project anyway. But not in the folder when you plug the drive into the new computer. Too weird.

Also, did the location of the Mixcraft guitar and bass vsts move - a different song cannot find them when loading it up on the new pc?