Use your Smartphone or Tablet as Midi Controller

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ppayne

Use your Smartphone or Tablet as Midi Controller

Post by ppayne »

For everyone who is looking for a Midi controller. Today I tested an interesting alternative to Korg Nano Pad etc. The smartphone app TouchDAW and pocketMidi can be used excellently as a Midi controller on a tablet or smartphone. This is what it looks like:
Screenshot_20240212_122008_TouchDAW Demo.jpg
Screenshot_20240212_122008_TouchDAW Demo.jpg (737.01 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Screenshot_20240212_122021_TouchDAW Demo.jpg
Screenshot_20240212_122021_TouchDAW Demo.jpg (176.76 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Works perfectly in Mixcraft and is really very useful. The XY pad in TouchDAW in particular works very well because you have the option to automatically center it when you no longer press it. You can also use it as a Mackie controller.

Patrick
cactus-head

Re: Use your Smartphone or Tablet as Midi Controller

Post by cactus-head »

I've used a couple of different mobile device mixers/controllers in the past. They can be a simple alternative to a hardware device.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

cactus-head wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:04 pm I've used a couple of different mobile device mixers/controllers in the past. They can be a simple alternative to a hardware device.
Yes, a good alternative if you still have an old tablet lying around. I've only just discovered the possibility via Android. I'm using a huge XY pad on an old unused tablet. I'll see if that's useful.
Passionpasi

Post by Passionpasi »

Hi, I've been testing TouchDAW to control Mixcraft via USB. It works okay. What kind of you use for XY pad?
Noted that TouchDAWs midi key is 1 octave lower than Mixcraft. TDAW C1 = C2 Mixcraft
10.5 Pro 596, Win 11, Focusrite solo 4th gen
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Passionpasi wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:42 am Hi, I've been testing TouchDAW to control Mixcraft via USB. It works okay. What kind of you use for XY pad?
Noted that TouchDAWs midi key is 1 octave lower than Mixcraft. TDAW C1 = C2 Mixcraft
I use it to send two CC controller values directly. This way I control the instruments directly while playing. You can configure that in midi assignments

You can also configure the base note for launch pads if needed.
Screenshot_20240229_185156_TouchDAW Demo.jpg
Screenshot_20240229_185156_TouchDAW Demo.jpg (202.57 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Passionpasi

Post by Passionpasi »

use it to send two CC controller values directly. This way I control the instruments directly while playing. You can configure that in midi assignments
Alternatively, you can always record or draw your CC messages directly into the track via automation. It depends on what you want to achieve.
I dont quite get what you mean by these exactly...you control what in instrument and how to draw cc message to automation?
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Passionpasi wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:28 am I dont quite get what you mean by these exactly...you control what in instrument and how to draw cc message to automation?
Then first a question. Is it clear to you what the difference is between Midi notes and Midi controller messages?

With Midi CC I can send values ​​between 0 and 127 on a controller number. For example on CC 14 I send values ​​between 0 and 127. When I move a knob or swipe on my pad, it sends these values.

Now all I have to do is pass this data to a plugin in my DAW so that I can control a specific parameter. For example a filter, a mix control or the volume in the plugin. There are different ways in which I can pass on this CC data in Mixcraft.
Passionpasi

Post by Passionpasi »

I would say note is like C4 and message is cc 60. If not then i dont know.

What functions you control when playing instruments?

And can you give example how to draw midi message to automation.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

I really like controlling the XY pad within the Pharlight plugin. Or in massiveX the filer parameters. But you can control practically everything. I do this while playing the keys to get a lot more of expression and feeling into the sound. I also like to control the mix parameter in delay effects while I playing the keys etc.

Automation on a track is nothing other than playing back the values ​​for an automation parameter controlled with midi cc or set with the mouse.

CC messages can also be drawn directly into the MIDI clip with the mouse. This is at the bottom left of the piano roll. There are also other midi messages you can draw into a clip.

I'm not at the computer right now. I'll send you some screenshots later on how to do this in Mixcraft. Alternatively, it is well described in the manual with controller automation.
Passionpasi

Post by Passionpasi »

I really like controlling the XY pad within the Pharlight plugin. Or in massiveX the filer parameters. But you can control practically everything. I do this while playing the keys to get a lot more of expression and feeling into the sound. I also like to control the mix parameter in delay effects while I playing the keys etc.
Pharlight is obvious choice to be controlled as it has xy panel. Massive x, maybe you mean filter not filer parameters. As midi keyboards usually have slider and wheels to be used i was wondering on top those what kind of use for xy panel. So normally to use for xy panel plugins also for adjusting two sliders simultaneously, going to corners will move them both. That's why i asked because i couldn't see lot of creative ways to use it.
Automation on a track is nothing other than playing back the values ​​for an automation parameter controlled with midi cc or set with the mouse. CC messages can also be drawn directly into the MIDI clip with the mouse. This is at the bottom left of the piano roll. There are also other midi messages you can draw into a clip.
Alternatively, you can always record or draw your CC messages directly into the track via automation. It depends on what you want to achieve.
In the context of midi CC to midi note correlation i couldn't get how to use this. I was thinking i can write similarly automation line as doing pitch automation, it goes -24 t +24 with 49 values. I thought midi 0-127 with 128 values could be added to automation line just to remap midi data on the clip.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Passionpasi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:06 am normally to use for xy panel plugins also for adjusting two sliders simultaneously, going to corners will move them both.
That goes without saying. That's how I use it too. I control an instrument and an effect at the same time for example. It's just a controller. The XY pad behaves exactly like two ribbon controllers in parallel, but with an auto center function.
Passionpasi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:06 am That's why i asked because i couldn't see lot of creative ways to use it.
If you already have two ribbon controllers on the keyboard, then you have little added value. However, the XY controller has an advantage over a modulation wheel because you can send specific CC values ​​directly and don't have to slowly turn the wheel to the value. This creates interesting effects when playing.

In combination with auto reset/center you even have a kind of key switching behavior because you can switch back and forth between two CC values ​​just by tapping once. And swiping on the pad feels very natural when playing in contrast to the modulation wheel. This gives really good opportunities for a lot of expression while playing. I'm currently using it with infiltrator 2 and volume in combination. A very good alternative to an MPE keyboard. And if you have a pressure sensitive display, you can even control 3 axes with one finger. Unfortunately my tablet has no pressure sensitivity.
Passionpasi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:06 am In the context of midi CC to midi note correlation i couldn't get how to use this.
I don't understand what you mean here. A controller sends CC messages. Nothing correlates with notes here. This is more of a case for NoteMapper from your thread. The XY pad is just a special controller.
Passionpasi

Post by Passionpasi »

Thanks for reply!

Last one is about the other thread:
This is only possible via a plugin I think. Take a look at NoteMapper, it probably works.
So i don't understand alternative way...if wanna open it, i'm willing to learn. If not, thanks a lot i already found touchDAW and Notemapper from your posts...
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

That's no problem. Always ask if you want to know something. I've been using the XY pad for a while now. I think it's much better than a modulation wheel when you're playing solo instruments and you only need your right hand. It's also better than my built-in ribbon controller in the Mk2 because it can't reset itself. But somehow you have the problem that the tablet is too far away from the keyboard when you need both hands.

Next I want to try out a breath controller. Here, for example, you have both hands free and can control up to 4 CC parameters.

https://youtu.be/zVvfkkjXty0?si=bLI_5HbrvnmYqlMY

https://youtu.be/sRDzn6pZwlM?si=n3coGm5FNo2svIs9

Maybe someone already has experience with this.

The following funny guy shows what I mean about giving your vst a soul and having more expression.

https://youtu.be/X0ybvC8Ex14?si=QquQODKSEUpvIWR4

If you want to do this with the mouse via automation you have no chance and it would take hours. And with a modulation wheel you have also no chance to get this kind of expression. In my opinion, the only half alternative that works well is aftertouch. Roli seaboard would also be an option. But I suspect a breath controller is hard to beat because your hands are completely free for playing.

I'm just not sure if I really want to play keyboard with a snorkel in my mouth :mrgreen: Maybe my wife will get a divorce then too. She hadn't married Darth Vader :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Passionpasi

Post by Passionpasi »

Thanks for reply!

Oh my, i didnt have a clue there is breath controller. Might be im not aware of many fancy things. There are already so many possilibilies to be creative and always coming more, sometimes its too much as learning can be exhausting.