USB Audio input not working correctly

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

TheDailyVinyl

USB Audio input not working correctly

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

Using Mixcraft 10.1 b587. Just got a brand-new Dell PC for my day job and am planning to occasionally record audio from vinyl LPs.

I have tried two different Behringer analog-to-USB input. But the input signal in Mixcraft is giving terrible results. There is no signal for like 7 seconds, then it will blip on for a moment or two. But it sounds extremely lo-fi and mono. Then disappears again.

In the System>Sound>Properties for the USB Audio CODEC - the format is set to "2 channels, 16-bit, 44100" and next to the Volume, I can see a smooth incoming signal. (I can also hear the audio just fine through the external speakers that are connected directly to the Behringer's audio out).

I just got off a chat window with a DELL rep and we tried a few troubleshooting ideas, but in the end, he said I need to contact y'all. One step we tested was using the "Sound Recorder" program in Windows. It seemed to work, and it even made Mixcraft get a consistent signal, but only when Sound Recorder was actively recording. When I stop recording, Mixcraft goes back to the intermittent audio. However, even with the Sound Recorder, the signal still appears to be mono. I downloaded audacity and it had same results as the Sound Recorder. (The signal is strong and consistent, but apparently mono. It is sending the Left channel to both L&R, and not reading the Right channel at all).

Any thoughts??
Acoustica Greg

Re: USB Audio input not working correctly

Post by Acoustica Greg »

HI,

Which Behringer analog-to-USB input device are you using, exactly? When you arm the audio track, click on the little arrow next to the Arm button. What do you have selected as your recording device? Make sure it's the correct one. Mixcraft 10 shows an audio level for your different arming choices.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
TheDailyVinyl

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

Thanks Greg, It's both the Behringer UFO202 and UCA222. (Currently, I have the UFO202 connected). The audio that is recorded should not have any gaps. It was a regular song. You can see it blips in and out. The audio that it does record sounds like 5kb mono.
Screenshot 2024-02-23 164703.png
Screenshot 2024-02-23 164703.png (41.07 KiB) Viewed 760 times

And I mentioned in the OP, when I use the PC's Sound Recorder program, and start recording in that program, Mixcraft gets part of signal. Although it still sounds thin, but it's at least something. (see attachment #2)
mixcraft2.png
mixcraft2.png (37.33 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Please go into Mixcraft's General preferences, then click Upload Log Files. Let us know that you've done that, and we'll check them out.

Greg
TheDailyVinyl

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

Thank you Greg. I just clicked "Upload Logs". It begins....

11:17:30 [ 6 mils] : Starting up on 2/26/2024!
11:17:30 [ 6 mils] : Microsoft Windows 11 (Build 22631)
11:17:30 [ 6 mils] : ##################################################################################
11:17:30 [ 6 mils] : Actual Computer Name = ACT_HR_IT
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thank you for sending in you log files. It looks like your default project folder is set to a OneDrive folder:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\OneDrive\Documents\Mixcraft Projects\

You might try setting it to this instead:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Mixcraft Projects\

Note: replace "YOURUSERNAME" with your actual Windows username.

Greg
TheDailyVinyl

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

Thanks Greg,
Ok, I've changed the Default folder to C:\Users\tim\Music\Mixcraft Projects\

Restarted Mixcraft, but I'm not seeing any performance change. It still has intermittent low-res mono recording in "Core Audio (WaveRT)" and "Wave" settings. But, when I try "ASIO" I do get a more normal response, however I am unable to adjust the input volume. And I'm not convinced it's a good audio quality. Sounds just "ok" when I play back.
Screenshot 2024-02-26 113529.png
Screenshot 2024-02-26 113529.png (22 KiB) Viewed 662 times

I don't know if it matters, but the internal soundcard is Cirrus Logic and not Realtek. (I didn't plan on ordering this PC with that SC, but it's what came).
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's normal for the volume slider to be disabled in ASIO mode, because that's one of the way ASIO provides superior audio performance. With ASIO, you would need to adjust the gain on the hardware.

Greg
TheDailyVinyl

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

Thanks again Greg. Any thoughts about the other two driver settings (Core Audio and Wave) yielding a sporadic, mono, lo-fi signal into Mixcraft? I've attached the settings (which I assume are the default).
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-05 162047.png
Screenshot 2024-03-05 162047.png (41.04 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Screenshot 2024-03-05 162037.png
Screenshot 2024-03-05 162037.png (45.59 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Those settings should be fine. WaveRT is better than Wave. Is the Behringer connected directly to your computer, or are you using a USB hub? If you're using a hub, try connecting directly to your computer.

You can also just try a different USB port.

Greg
TheDailyVinyl

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

Thanks Greg. I tried a different USB port with no luck.
But now I've got a more severe issue! Mixcraft crashes within 7 seconds of starting up! I've tried rebooting my PC. Yoinks! any idea for this one??
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Please send us your Mixcraft10-Log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft10-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\Logs

Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log10.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file (and dmp file if there's a new one) along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
TheDailyVinyl

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

Great! Sent.
Conversation ID 384050
TheDailyVinyl

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

Hey Greg -
Have y'all had a chance to look at that log file yet? Mixcraft still won't load. I could try reinstalling, but, of course, the problem might still exist. Thanks.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

It could be something as simple as a bad USB cable. If the connection seems intermittent, that could be loose internal wires in the cable or some thing shorting. If your PC crashed and you aren't trying to overclock it or undervolt it, it could be a bad hardware/cable connection.

Also if your USB audio interface has an option for an external power jack, use external power and don't rely on the computers USB to power it. Can make a difference depending on the interface.