Impression of 10

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Rski

Impression of 10

Post by Rski »

I had been using Mixcraft for 6 years and some. Up graded my 9 Pro to 10 Pro. Here are my impressions.

Once installed, two start ups and adjust drivers and project folder settings, open up one of my projects, first thing became apparent, someone been working on the load style, I instantly liked the build the users interface track for track routine, instead of looking at a small progress bar … Incrementing in jump steps … then ready ... nice touch

The UI on dark mode, hmm … visible … try light mode … my personal preference leaned towards that appearance.

Enough of the blabbering about looks … let’s look under the hood

When I switched from Mixcraft 8 to 9 … for some reason, I didn’t export my current project files to another folder, I created new folder and manually migrated Mixcraft 8 launch icons to the Mixcraft 9 folder … never the less … my recordings worked fine

So merged separated projects to one folder ... should have done before… clear up the launch icon over time.

One strong selling point with Mixcraft is the virtual instrument handling … painless from my first look 2017 … the adding of new instruments detected and add launch to grouped effects or instruments, the new app … looking forward to future use

When using my soft drums … assigning channel names by editing the host assigning to item, a brain fart happened. First assignment labeled, then click on the next slot the current labeled copied the first entry, what? Once I hit enter after the entry, consecutive labeling easy, don’t fret, my soft drum BDF3 did some jumping during assigning output, learned the highlight must be toggled, duh

All in all, Mixcraft is a pleasure to use, the new tweaks are impressive.
ppayne

Re: Impression of 10

Post by ppayne »

I agree. Mixcraft 10 is a real step forward. Although I didn't need a new GUI with scaling etc. myself. But the market demands it and I like it out of the box. All the detail improvements are very good in my opinion.

But sometimes I have the impression that the priorities of implementations are not always decided optimally. There are still a few important breaks in the concept that have not been addressed since mixcraft 7 and still cause irritation and difficulties today. Especially if the development team is smaller, you should primarily optimize and streamline some conceptual things so that you don't have to implement as much. It also makes everything even more intuitive without any breaks in concept at some points. But I know that ensuring compatibility is always difficult then. And I only see this in a few places in the program.

Overall, I think the performance with a small development team is absolutely impressive. The guys do a lot of things really well I think. For me, the new Mixcraft 10 is really fun, stable and well done. I wouldn't want to use any other DAW again.
gaffster

Re: Impression of 10

Post by gaffster »

I trialed Reaper when MC9 didn't include the midi plugin routing improvements that came with MC10. No thanks. Life is too short for all that. I upgraded to MC10 on day one. Sometimes it may take a major overhaul, but a DAW really has to keep up with the capabilities of the latest virtual instruments and controllers as well as the latest OSs.

I smirk a bit like the Cheshire cat when MC is left off the "Most Major DAW" lists.