32-bit vsts dont work

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

PowerChord

32-bit vsts dont work

Post by PowerChord »

I have the same issue, and it is with all 32-bit effect plugins (not just legacy Mixcraft ones).

The 64-bit effect plugins load fine, the 32-bit ones open a dialog but fail to load the plugin within (I know they're 32-bit because this is displayed in the title) and everything hangs. These are plugins that I collected separately, they're not only the ones that installed with Mixcraft. The plugins are not added to the Unable to Load or Recently Crashed categories, quite likely because Mixcraft never gets far enough to mark them as such.

I also have 32-bit VST instruments. Those load perfectly fine, so the problem is only with effects. I have Mx10, build 587 running on Windows 11.

I've only recently started with Mx10 and can't remember if 32-bit plugins loaded correctly in an earlier build.

It's a bit annoying because when adding plugins to a track you can't really tell from the name if it is 32 or 64 bit, and accidentally loading an 32-bit effect plugin currently means you have to kill the app, potentially losing some work if you didn't save recently.
Acoustica Greg

Re: most of native mixcraft vsts dont work (block the program)

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Which plugins, exactly?

Greg

Old 32-bit effects in Mixcraft 10.
Old 32-bit effects in Mixcraft 10.
densitymkIII-Voxengo-spectrum-analyzer.png (409.22 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
PowerChord

Re: most of native mixcraft vsts dont work (block the program)

Post by PowerChord »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:28 pm Which plugins, exactly?
Hi Greg. Um, let me think, from the top of my head:
  • DTC-1
  • Dubmaster liquid delay
  • Dubshox H8
  • EU ProMixEq-10A
  • FAT+
  • FerricTDS
  • FSQ1964
  • GSXL4070
  • Mid-Side Envelope Follower+
  • Mid-Side Harmonic Vitaliser+
  • Mid-Side Stereophase Filter+
  • ORB7000
  • Pentode audio PSEQ-1
  • Pentode audio TRW-1
  • Pentode audio VBE-1
  • Pentode audio VTC-1
  • POD4500
  • Pultronic EQ110P
  • Shred 1.01
  • TrebleCream
  • Twisthead VS-206
  • VTD-42 Psychedelic delay
  • XBass 4000
  • Zener Limiter LM-2Z
Okay I admit, I tried all I have. These are a mix of 32-bit effects that may have been installed with Mixcraft or what I collected in the past.

I did tell a lie though (sorry), I found four 32-bit effect plugins in my collection that actually do work: Gsnap, Gtune, Izotope Mastering Essentials and VocalZap.

Also, because Mixcraft hung (almost) every time I tried a 32-bit plugin and was closed by force, I ended up with a large set of "Mixcraft 32-Bit VST Host" processes that were still in memory, eating away CPU power. I closed them, it would be nice if Mixcraft can do that on startup (just in case a previous session crashed), but I doubt it can do that without elevated rights.
Acoustica Greg

Re: 32-bit vsts dont work

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Please go into Mixcraft's General preferences, click Upload Log Files, and then let us know that you've done that.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

As a side note, 32-bit plugins do run in a shell program in 64-bit Mixcraft. It's better to find a 64-bit alternative.

That said, hopefully your log files will provide a clue as to why this is happening for you with 32-bit plugins.

Greg
PowerChord

Post by PowerChord »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:30 pm Hi,

Please go into Mixcraft's General preferences, click Upload Log Files, and then let us know that you've done that.

Greg
Just done this, thanks. The plug-in tests were almost 48 hours ago from the latest log. I should also repeat it did not crash, it hangs indefinitely, and those sessions were ended by simply letting Windows close the unresponsive program.

B.t.w. I checked what was in the logs and liked Mixcraft's closing note. :) (Yes, some people do read that stuff)
PowerChord

Post by PowerChord »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:59 pm As a side note, 32-bit plugins do run in a shell program in 64-bit Mixcraft. It's better to find a 64-bit alternative.

That said, hopefully your log files will provide a clue as to why this is happening for you with 32-bit plugins.
I fully agree, I should update some of them, but the (free) plugin market is sometimes a bit, let's say volatile, and it's hard to get 64-bit updates to some older plugins, if they exist at all.

That said this issue is rather persistent on my machine so I hope the logs help.

Anyway, thanks Greg!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thank you for uploading your log files. Looking at this particular batch log files, I only see three 32-bit plugins being loaded:

ymVST.ll
VB3 Organ.dll
TyrellN6.dll

Are you having the problem with those plugins?

Greg
PowerChord

Post by PowerChord »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:49 pm Thank you for uploading your log files. Looking at this particular batch log files, I only see three 32-bit plugins being loaded:

ymVST.ll
VB3 Organ.dll
TyrellN6.dll

Are you having the problem with those plugins?
Hi, no those are instrument plugins, and they are fine. The 32-bit effect plugins are the problem. I have tested those approximately 2 days ago, are they not in the time span of these logs?

I will start Mixcraft and add a 32-bit plugin and send the logs again after it hangs.
PowerChord

Post by PowerChord »

I see the records in the log have timestamps but do not have dates associated, maybe that's a nice thing to add.
PowerChord

Post by PowerChord »

Sorry for the double bump. I have cleared the logs, added a 32-bit plugin to a track, causing it to hang, I've let Windows close the non-responding application, started Mixcraft again, uploaded the new logs. Hopefully they pinpoint the issue.

Screenshot attached. But not much to see.
Attachments
hang32biteffect.png
hang32biteffect.png (190.44 KiB) Viewed 653 times
PowerChord

Post by PowerChord »

Sorry for once again bumping, but I just found out how you can reproduce it.

Go to File > Preferences... and select the Display tab, then check the "Disable per-monitor DPI awareness". I've had to toggle that setting earlier on because DPI awareness caused issues using Melodyne in combination with my display's scaling settings.

Restart Mixcraft so that the setting takes effect, then try adding an 32-bit effect plugin (again, 32-bit instruments work fine). It will now probably also hang for you.

I have a work-around now, but I would like DPI awareness disabled to be able to use Melodyne on my machine.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I can't get the problem to happen here with DPI awareness disabled in build 587. I tried it with Windows scaled at 100% and also at 125%. Your log files show you had windows scaled at 100%.

But I've filed a bug report on the issue.

Check and see if there are any updated graphics drivers for your computer.

Oh, the log file you sent didn't show DTC-1 being loaded. Can you please send us a log file that shows you loading a plugin that causes the problem?

Greg
PowerChord

Post by PowerChord »

Hi Greg,
Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:48 pm I can't get the problem to happen here with DPI awareness disabled in build 587. I tried it with Windows scaled at 100% and also at 125%. Your log files show you had windows scaled at 100%.
No Windows is scaled at 200%:

WindowsScaling.png
WindowsScaling.png (29.88 KiB) Viewed 597 times

And that's even below the recommended setting.
Mixcraft's own scaling is at 100% though, which appears to be the only scaling reported in the log (apart from scaling settings for plugins).
Check and see if there are any updated graphics drivers for your computer.
It's a laptop, and I don't find any hardware / firmware updates pending for it.
Oh, the log file you sent didn't show DTC-1 being loaded. Can you please send us a log file that shows you loading a plugin that causes the problem?
As I mentioned I reproduced the issue, killed Mixcraft (because it hung), then restarted Mixcraft and clicked the button in the preferences to send the logs. I gather from your message that a restarts overwrites the last log and sends the current log only, which is not really useful after a hang or crash because it is a new session. Mixcraft appears to make backups of logs, but probably only after a successfully ended session.

I'd put the correct log here but I see it contains some personal data. in the log I have I can clearly see that the log ends with loading the DTC-1 plugin. I'll send it to you by PM.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I replied to your PM.

Greg