Micraft 9 Studio vs Mixcraft 10 Pro

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ray Cube

Micraft 9 Studio vs Mixcraft 10 Pro

Post by Ray Cube »

Why is Mixcraft 10 Pro using my graphics card less than Mixcraft 9 Studio?
Whenever I expand the timeline during playback (Length) the meters on some plugins slow down and eventually stop all together. Especially Tone booster's Barricade.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15_WVAs ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ct6gut ... sp=sharing

Ray.
Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
I9-900K. nvidia 3060 12GB. 64GB ram. 2 Samsung 28" monitors. Axiom Mini Air 32.
Tannoy Reveal speakers plus Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub. N.A.D and Cambridge Audio Amplification.
JonInc

Re: Micraft 9 Studio vs Mixcraft 10 Pro

Post by JonInc »

Not sure why... maybe some optimization was done in MC10 with how graphics are used?

Also, I noticed that your MC10 project is set at 96 kHz sample rate, while the MC9 project is at 48 kHz. May be relevant, may be not... Did you try using the same sample rate to see if it made any difference?
Ray Cube

Post by Ray Cube »

Hi.

Yes I did. I changed both to 48kHz 32 bit float and It made no difference to graphics being processed between the two applications. It could be the way various vsts are programmed as the only one that consistently showed an increase in GPU activity between the two programs while showing is the Ozone Equalizer (VST3) 64 bit.
The BT Barricade 64 bit limiter is the most affected in redrawing it's meters in real time and the first to freeze up as more tracks become active during playback or the timeline is stretched and scrolls faster. I was wrong on one point. On rechecking the programs running at the same points in the playback, both programs are showing the same amount of of CPU and GPU usage. Both programs are using the same drives and folders to access the samples. Both programs now contain the same VTS effects and instruments and sample as far as I can see.

This is not the end of the world but just more curious as to why this would be and is it connected perhaps in some way to the posts I have seen here regarding the freezing up of the program?

I have also noticed that apart from this problem V10 of Mixcraft has been more stable on my system at least with less used plugins sometimes refusing to activate on a reload of the project.
On the whole the upgrade has been a positive experience.

Ray.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
Tannoy Reveal speakers plus Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub. N.A.D and Cambridge Audio Amplification.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Looking at the screenshots there seems to be two GPUs. I'm guessing one is built in graphics on the motherboard. It could be that the bios isn't set to only focus on your dedicated GPU. Don't know why that would affect 1 mixcraft version and not the other - but maybe something to check.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We did add lots of optimizations to Mixcraft 10. For example, we found a problem with 32-bit plugins that was affecting graphics in Mixcraft 9 and fixed it in Mixcraft 10.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ray Cube

Post by Ray Cube »

Hi.

Yes there is an internal HD 630 from my i9900K and an nvidia 3060 12GB GPU.
Both versions are set to use the nvidia in Windows by selecting High performance that Mixcraft 9 seems to run better with. I did try setting both programs to Let Windows Decide which would have left the decision to Windows and then tried Power saving mode which would have made the HD 630 the main GPU.
High Performance seems the better setting for both but Mixcraft 10 just slows down graphically as the tracks become more densely packed with audio. The Mixer's meters become slightly more delayed and the ToneBooster plugin just freezes until the track either becomes less busy or ends. The little meter running across the top of the plugin is unaffected.
Audio wise I am not suffering much in the way of latency. To date the most amount of tracks I have running with samples in the same spot of the timeline in a project is only 32.
Bye the way, thank you for the pan width adjustment. I have found it to be very useful. I have yet to figure out how to find any of my MIDI files and import them but on the whole I'm finding the program reasonably intuitive. Is there a way to scroll the audio and hear it? Being very old and in the past very adapt to editing 15ips tape I find it a very quick way to cut down longer tracks and find edit points in a mixed down track.
Also how do you host an image here that shows please? I realise there is no actual upload ability to the site itself.

Ray.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
Ray Cube

Post by Ray Cube »

I found out why.
For some reason Mixcraft 10 had set the program to limit frames per second. Once I unticked the box all was well. Nvidia card now in use. Only limited now by refresh rate of monitors.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
Ray Cube

Post by Ray Cube »

OK, I have narrowed down the problem.
In Mixcraft 10 if in the interface settings box I have ticked the 'Keep the playback indicator Centered, that is when the graphics response is slowed down on the mixer volume levels and some vst effects such as the Tone Booster Limiter. That works fine in Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio.
Problem with playback scrolling MC 10.jpg
Problem with playback scrolling MC 10.jpg (112.28 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.