Crackle Issue

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dmsctt

Crackle Issue

Post by dmsctt »

Hello everyone!

I've been having a bit of an odd issue, bear with me on this one.

I record a podcast. I do this with some friends over Zoom, with Mixcraft running to record just my audio. Until recently I was running Mixcraft 9 Pro. Every so often, my co-hosts would hear my voice start to crackle and pop. It would continue for an extended amount of time, and start randomly. Sometimes 10 minutes into recording, sometimes 2 hours into recording, with no obvious cause. This could be fixed by resetting my connection with the Zoom meeting, or unplugging my Scarlett interface and plugging it back in.

The crackle never appeared on any of my recordings.

That is, until I recently upgraded from 9 Pro to 10 Pro. I was recording with someone else, who didn't let me know the crackle had occurred their end, and this time it's on the recording. This has never happened before with 9 Pro.

Can anybody think of any settings that might be different on a fresh install of the software, that would cause my recording to suddenly pick up what the other guys could hear the whole time? The only thing that has changed is the Mixcraft software version. The interface, laptop, Zoom settings are all the same.

Thanks in advance!
TrevsAudio

Re: Crackle Issue

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi and welcome to the forums. :D

Normally, the first rule of crackle is buffer size. Try increasing that.

Buffer.png
Buffer.png (200.01 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
dmsctt

Post by dmsctt »

Hi! Thank you!

I have indeed tried that, but because the crackle is intermittent and starts randomly, the best I can ascertain is that it has had no effect. I don't change the buffer size midway through recording, and I can't recreate the issue until I'm sat with the others on Zoom and it occurs without warning.

The thing I'm trying to solve isn't even necessarily the crackle, to be honest. I'm happy for them to hear the crackle, haha! It's only just started showing up on the recording, where previously it didn't whilst I used Mixcraft 9 Pro.
dmsctt

Post by dmsctt »

This might be a useful detail!

I can't hear the crackle my end. It's not present in the monitor audio whilst recording, and until i used Mixcraft 10 it wasn't present on the recordings. So this is the first time I've ever heard it.
edjex

Post by edjex »

I had crackles when I had the windows screensaver enabled (though not active!) and moved the mouse. Disabled screensaver and crackles are gone during movement mouse.
dmsctt

Post by dmsctt »

edjex wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:42 am I had crackles when I had the windows screensaver enabled (though not active!) and moved the mouse. Disabled screensaver and crackles are gone during movement mouse.
Screensaver already disabled, but thank you!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If it's only in mixed-down audio, then check out this pinned post: https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?t=24566

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
dmsctt

Post by dmsctt »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 am Hi,

If it's only in mixed-down audio, then check out this pinned post: https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?t=24566

Greg
Hey Greg!

It isn't only in mixed-down audio.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Check the usb cable?

My Focusrite 2i2 was crackling and I eventually bought another interface. Only to find that the usb cable was defective. Changed that and now I have 2 interfaces. :lol:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

...and there was the guy who figured out that his crackling came from his dog walking over the USB cable.
dmsctt

Post by dmsctt »

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a couple of interfaces, a few cables, and a couple of different ports, so have tried a few over the years in various combinations, and I still get the crackle, apparently. Also, if it were to be a cable or port issue, wouldn't I hear it in the monitor?

It's only in playback, or other people receiving my audio. And that former issue is new.

Also, I've just checked my whole house and I don't appear to have a dog.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What's the audio chain for the people hearing the crackle? What hardware and plugins is the audio passing through? How is it internally routed in Mixcraft?

Greg