Driver Error Correction option for fixing latency?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Hicks

Driver Error Correction option for fixing latency?

Post by Hicks »

So I was overdubbing some drums on guitar and vocals with metronome and noticed that everything felt out of sync. Apparently there is some latency going on causing recorded clips to be about 70 ms late on the timeline. I checked this by putting monitoring headphones around a microphone and recording the Mixcraft metronome. I then compared the clip on the timeline to the grid and found it was about 70 ms late. I am using ASIO with my Steinberg UR44 interface. I'm using 44.1 kHz sample rate and buffer of 2048. I'm recording four mics simultaneously so I don't want there to be risk of audio drops. Since I'm recording drums I don't need to monitor input, just play along with existing tracks and metronome. I assume Mixcraft compensates for the latency that the ASIO driver reports. However, in this case it doesn't seem accurate or then there is something else in the chain causing the delay.

Anyway, the current fix in Mixcraft seems to be to use the offset function on recorded audio clips. Some other DAWs have a dedicated feature for fixing this, in Ableton it is called Driver Error Correction and in Reaper audio driver latency offset. Could we get this in Mixcraft, too?
Drdish007

Re: Driver Error Correction option for fixing latency?

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
Did you try making you buffer amount smaller?
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
W1tchseason

Post by W1tchseason »

Yes, 2048 seems extremely high for your buffers setting. I manage to get by most of the time with 128 - or 256 at most.
Hicks

Post by Hicks »

But buffer setting shouldn't matter, right? Mixcraft should compensate for the latency that the driver reports?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The buffer setting absolutely matters. If you have high latency, lower the buffer or latency setting. If you have skipping or glitching audio, increase the buffer or latency.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

What are your PC specs? If it's not a robust enough system there's no fix for that, not saying that's the case but it could be. 44.1k 16bit with 512 buffer is a good starting point though 48k 24bit seems to be the norm these days.

M
Hicks

Post by Hicks »

But shouldn't the recorded audio be on time on the timeline? At the moment it's appearing late even though I'm not monitoring via Mixcraft.