Microtonic Plugin Crashed MX 9, won't load in MX10

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Galaxy_Kidd

Microtonic Plugin Crashed MX 9, won't load in MX10

Post by Galaxy_Kidd »

Hi, I have a particular VST that's been driving me up the wall, Sonic Charge's Microtonic. It used to work just fine and was consistently used across a great deal of my projects. The version I used was a .dll based VST. Seemingly out of nowhere, this plugin being anywhere within my project would cause Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio Build 469 to experience a fatal error immediately. I couldn't load the plugin at all without it doing this. My first attempt to fix this was going to be updating to the last Mixcraft 9 build, 470, but I have been unable to get an installer for the latest build as the link that was provided at an earlier date does not seem to work anymore.

I have moved up to the latest build of Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio (I had been eyeing it up for quite some time and decided why not), and now I can see the plugin in "Unable to Load" within my plugin manager, but any attempts to load won't do anything after I restart Mixcraft.

I've been pulling my hair out, as the issues with Mixcraft PS 9 started seemingly out of nowhere. This plugin used to work great, I didn't update it or anything, one day it just started crashing my program every single time it was loaded. I've tried deleting and reinstalling it from the package I downloaded a few years ago, nothing. I've tried looking for the latest build, and installing that. Nothing. The thing that baffles me is that this problem seemingly arose out of nowhere I can't pinpoint any specific cause.

The only thing I could recall that may be contributing to this is I recently did a system-wide antivirus scan, but if you ask me, I don't remember if the timing between me doing that, and this plugin having issues being close enough together for me to be suspicious of that. (Though, I know that sometimes antivirus scans can remove files that aren't causing issues, which leads me to believe I could have accidentally removed an important file/corrupted something).

I know that some third party VSTs are known to be buggy but this used to be a workhorse of a plugin and I am pulling my hair out!! Without a fix to this I'm left with many of my songs that have lost their percussion and some of them are not finished! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Acoustica Greg

Re: Microtonic Plugin Crashed MX 9, won't load in MX10

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you don't already have Mixcraft 10.5 build 596, check for updates and install them.

If the problem is happening with build 596, go into Mixcraft's General preferences, click Upload Log Files, and let us know that you did that.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Galaxy_Kidd

Post by Galaxy_Kidd »

Hi Greg,

Yep, the issue is with build 596. I tried to recreate the conditions I'm dealing with first, and I've uploaded a log file for you.

Thanks,

Alex / "Galaxy Kidd"
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for sending in your log files. Choose Plug-In Manager from Mixcraft's File menu and find Microtonic. Click on Unloadable, and change it to Attempt to Load. Click OK and restart Mixcraft.

If Microtonic crashes, please send in your log files again.

In general, make sure that Microtonic is installed correctly, and that you have the latest patches for it.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

It seems to work for me.

Microtonic in Mixcraft 10.5
Microtonic in Mixcraft 10.5
microtonicMX10.png (42.34 KiB) Viewed 277 times

It also works in Mixcraft 9.
Galaxy_Kidd

Post by Galaxy_Kidd »

My hunch then is I have something seriously wonky going on. I recreated the crash in Mixcraft PS 9 b.469 just now, I uploaded all crash files through the website. I should have also uploaded the MxC 10.5 files sometime yesterday. I'm also reaching out to Sonic Charge themselves and they'll be sending me a beta version of Microtonic that logs more debug information to see if we can figure out why my system is doing this. If you're able to find anything within the MxC 9 crash files I just sent, do let me know. Thanks!

Alex/Galaxy Kidd
Galaxy_Kidd

Post by Galaxy_Kidd »

I just found a breakthrough, I think MX9 for my system is unstable or possibly corrupted. I just found out that MX10 had Microtonic listed as "Disabled" in the VST manager. I enabled them, restarted my program and I can load the VST and it produces sound, without crashing Mixcraft. I'm going to see how it behaves in the meantime, but it looks like it's working. What an oversight...

I'm definitely curious as to why it was automatically listed as "Disabled" upon it being imported to Mx 10 though. If I have any issues, I'll come back here! Thanks!
Last edited by Galaxy_Kidd on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxy_Kidd

Post by Galaxy_Kidd »

I lied... let me make sure I have the correct version of the VST that the original project used first, before jumping to any conclusions. But I now have my first fatal error in Mixcraft 10 now.
This is my attempt at loading a MXC 9 project in Mx10 that contained Microtonic, after successfully getting Microtonic to load inside of a blank project.
This is my attempt at loading a MXC 9 project in Mx10 that contained Microtonic, after successfully getting Microtonic to load inside of a blank project.
Mixcraft Crash 4-10 - mx 10.png (522 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Plugins sometimes get disabled if they crash, or if another plugin crashes and takes out the next plugin in line.

Send in your log files again and we'll check this new crash out.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi again,

Actually I see you already did send in some log files, and Microtonic Multi crashed. Does the regular version crash, too? (Not the Multi one).

I didn't check out the Multi version.

Greg
Galaxy_Kidd

Post by Galaxy_Kidd »

Hi, yep it looks like both regular and multi crash.

I've re-enabled Microtonic and Microtonic Multi within MX9, and the project I was trying to load can open in Mixcraft 9, but I get this:
Mixcraft Crash 4-10 - mx 10.png
Mixcraft Crash 4-10 - mx 10.png (28.05 KiB) Viewed 241 times
This leads me to believe I have now gotten rid of the version that 9 was using completely, as I've run into this before when I jumped from 8 to 9/etc and certain VSTs from the previous edition of MXC weren't copied over yet.

I still have a copy of MIcrotonic and Microtonic Multi, but they might not be the same ones the project was using, since it told me that multi couldn't be loaded. Upon me trying to go to the track that was using Microtonic Multi, and change the instrument to the version I have installed, it crashed.

What I believe I did originally is I disabled the versions of Microtonic that I was using in Mixcraft 9, so that I could still at the least load my old projects containing the VST so it wouldn't just immediately crash on me. I just found out I had a copy of Microtonic and Microtonic Multi in both my Mixcraft 7 and Mixcraft 9 3rd party VST folders.

The copies in 7's folders were quarantined and listed as "Unable to Load", and I've navigated to that file location and deleted them completely, leaving only one copy of both in MX9. Now I just have to see if I'm using the right version for what my project needs. Whatever version I do have, unfortunately is still crashing.

My hope is if I can get 9 to load these VSTs properly again, MX10 should be backwards-compatible from there.
Attachments
Mixcraft-Log.txt
(1021.84 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Mixcraft-Crash.txt
(1015.87 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Mixcraft-Crash.jpg
Mixcraft-Crash.jpg (298.84 KiB) Viewed 241 times