Scaling and other issues

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ray Cube

Scaling and other issues

Post by Ray Cube »

I've not experienced any crashes but I have found some settings of VSTs not saved along with the project and scaling issues with TB Barricade.
Also a slowdown and in some instances a halting of graphics representing volume if the playback cursor is set to stay centralised during playback That does not happen with Mixcraft 9. If I let the cursor travel to the end and then refresh the graphics are fine.
Also today I had my internet connection go down and when I opened Mixcraft 10 I had Windows defender asking me if it should block Mixcraft and associated apps or allow internet access.
Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
I9-900K. nvidia 3060 12GB. 64GB ram. 2 Samsung 28" monitors. Axiom Mini Air 32.
Tannoy Reveal speakers plus Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub. N.A.D and Cambridge Audio Amplification.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Scaling and other issues

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We made Mixcraft 10 so that it could scale up smoothly for high-res monitors. This opened a big can of worms, because lots of plugins don't scale properly. If you want to make Mixcraft 10 work like Mixcraft 9 in this respect, you could go into Display preferences and select the Disable Per-monitor DPI Awareness" option.

Regarding keeping the playback cursor centered, depending on your graphics card and how hungry all the plugins you're using in the project are, you might see issues like that with Mixcraft 9 as well. Make sure you've got the latest graphics drivers installed for your video card and that you're not running any unnecessary programs in the background while using Mixcraft. If you've got a ton of plugins on tracks and you're not working on the tracks, you could freeze them by pressing Ctrl+F.

There's not much we can do about Windows getting antsy about security, except keep our certificates up to date, which we always strive to do.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ray Cube

Re: Scaling and other issues

Post by Ray Cube »

Hi Greg.
I've come to the conclusion it is because with cursor stationary the waveforms on the tracks have to be constantly redrawn. The more tracks that show the worse the problem. Not so much how many plugins are running. I can run the same project in both versions and 9 just works while 10 freezes the graphics of the volume meters on the mixer and the TB Barricade plugin as the tracks build up beyond 10 or so.
TB Barricade being the worst offender although it doesn't affect the top horizontal meter at all. I do run two monitors but they are HD not 4K or HDR. I can live with the cursor not being central. I had already tried your suggestion before posting.
I do a lot of video editing so my graphics drivers are always up to date. The 3060 does not show a lot of use but I know from the video editing that means very little. Nor do I normally have anything running in the background other than the program I'm working with.
All projects are run from solid state drives. I only use internal or external SATA drives for backing up projects.
The only reason I rely on the TB Barricade meters especially those on the right hand side is to give me an idea of the attack and decay and how it relates to the sound I am hearing. I confess to it being one of my favourite mastering plugins. That and the Ozone 11 Equalizer.
I suppose I'm very visual and the plugins I show while mastering show me the majority of what I need 'at a glance'.
On the whole I love the program. Love the mixer but I need a bigger screen so I can see all of it scaled down. This was just a small niggle rather than a game changing problem. I have found the program to be very stable. Latency issues are negligible for me personally. I can work at 10ms or less.

Typical screen usage.
Mixcraft-10v3.jpg
Mixcraft-10v3.jpg (479.71 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Ray.
Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
I9-900K. nvidia 3060 12GB. 64GB ram. 2 Samsung 28" monitors. Axiom Mini Air 32.
Tannoy Reveal speakers plus Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub. N.A.D and Cambridge Audio Amplification.