Question about Mixcraft's EQ

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Dee-J

Question about Mixcraft's EQ

Post by Dee-J »

Hi, I have a question about the basic EQ on Mixcraft's mixing console. I had previously asked this question just maybe a week ago but I deleted it as I thought I may have found a remedy, but upon further tinkering I guess maybe not, so I thought to re-post the question

Before I begin with the question I just wanted to state that I currently have Mixcraft 7. I know it’s an old version, but I mainly do music as an occasional hobby so I haven't had the need for any upgrades since that version. The reason why I mentioned this is because just in case the later upgrades may have already fixed the issue which I am about to discuss, so I hope that makes sense now.

Ok, so pretty much ever since I began using Mixcraft (circa '06-07) I have stuck with the "Acoustica EQ" plugin because I have always found it efficient.
I never really bothered with the parametric EQ on the mixing console.

However, just within the last 3 weeks I decided to re-visit my old projects and this time tinker around with the parametric EQ knobs to shape the sound of my tracks.

I found it to do a pretty good job at cleaning the low ends, however, I did notice a bit of a difference when compared to the "Acoustica EQ", particularly with the hi-hats and cymbals........

With the "Acoustica EQ" (which I was using as an insert on each track, those that needed it) it would clean out all of the muddiness and resulted in my hi-hats and cymbals to be crystal clear without me even having to boost the upper high ends.

However, by comparison, when I used the parametric EQ knobs on the channel strips to clean out all of the Lo and Mid ranges, there was still a noticable muddiness in the Hi-hats and cymbals. You can still here those mid-range "clicks" and harshness and it just won't go away. The "Acoustica EQ" itself will clean out all of those frequencies.

Can anyone explain why there is a difference?

Thanks in advance.
cactus-head

Re: Question about Mixcraft's EQ

Post by cactus-head »

Dee-J wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:51 am
...However, by comparison, when I used the parametric EQ knobs on the channel strips to clean out all of the Lo and Mid ranges, there was still a noticable muddiness in the Hi-hats and cymbals. You can still here those mid-range "clicks" and harshness and it just won't go away. The "Acoustica EQ" itself will clean out all of those frequencies.

Can anyone explain why there is a difference?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

There is a bit of a difference. The Acoustica EQ is a ten band graphic (linear) equilizer. Basically that means when you move a fader for a particular band or frequency, that particular frequency's amplitude will be emphasized (increased) or de-emphasized (decreased). If you are talking about using the parametric EQ on the mixer, then the parametric eq is going to affect several frequencies based on a center or main frequency and a dispersion of either a shelf (or roll off), or a bell curve. A Q-factor is generally the width of the dispersion.

mc 10.5 parametric eq on mixer.jpg
mc 10.5 parametric eq on mixer.jpg (84.78 KiB) Viewed 139 times

In the above image, the icon graph of the frequency shape will tell you the dispersion - shelf or bell curve. If it's a High Shelf, then all of the frequencies above your dialed in frequency will be affected - either increased or decreased. If it's a Bell curve, then the frequencies around the main frequency you set will be affected in a bell shape - increased or decreased. If it's a low shelf, then all of the frequencies below the main frequency will be affected. You'll notice there are curve selections for the High Frequencies and the Low Frequencies. There are two sets of Mid frequencies that only have a bell curve options but have a controllable Q-factor.

To use the parametric eq effectively, you'll have to keep in mind the shapes of the curve, the Q-factor, and the main frequencies you are adjusting. Unlike the graphic equalizer, the parametric equalizer will change frequencies next to the selected frequency (to a lesser extent) as well. To tame the high ends or the muddiness, you'll have to adjust your application and control of the knobs accordingly.

But because you don't have individual controls over specific frequencies like you do with the faders on a graphic eq, finding the sweet spot on the parametric eq, especially with knobs, may take some practice and critical listening.
Dee-J

Re: Question about Mixcraft's EQ

Post by Dee-J »

Hi cactus-head.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give a very in-depth explanation! It really does put some things more into perspective as to what's happening.

Kudos for that.

As we speak I just went back into Mixcraft to try this out. Jumping on my Hi-hat and cymbal tracks I used the parametric EQ to completely cut all of the low and mid frequencies and I'm still left with some upper range "mud". It sounds like it may be in the 2k range on up (although I can't tell for certain). So apparently, the EQ curve is not dipping low enough to get rid of all of those frequencies. I tried rolling off of a little bit of the "Hi" knob but then it takes away the hi-end clarity that's needed.

So for a minute there I was just saying "At this point I just have to accept that it's just the best it's gonna get (*shrugs*)"

I just tried using it (the Acoustica EQ) to completely cut off all of the frequencies, leaving only the 8k & 16k bands up and (as stated in the initial post) the sound is crystal clear.

But suddenly I had the idea to try something different.......

Turning off the Acoustica EQ on the inserts I went back to the Parametric EQ, completely rolled off the Mid & Lo knobs and then BOOSTED the Hi knob all the way up. I played the hi-hat and cymbal tracks and found that I had to lower the volume slider a great deal due to the now-boosted upper frequencies and VOILA! I NEARLY got the desired results.

It's not perfect but it's damn close, meaning that I can still hear some of the mid-range frequencies but it's significantly more subdued now by the boosted and crystal clear upper frequencies.

So I think that may have been the solution I was looking for!