Rainbow Error - Mixcraft 4.2 and later

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GaryR55

Rainbow Error - Mixcraft 4.2 and later

Post by GaryR55 »

Ever since 4.2 was released, I cannot open Mixcraft without going through the following in order to finally get Mixcraft opened:

1. "Rainbow: Error
There is a problem with the installation
(I click OK at this point)

2. Rainbow: Error
A problem with Rainbow installation has been detected. This is typically the case if you have moved your installation directory [I haven't]. Please enter the path to your installation directory to correct the problem. (at this point, I have tried navigating to the Mixcraft 4 folder, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do next, or what I'm supposed to be looking for there, so I click on OK instead)

3. The Open dialog opens and it is set to find bank1.bnk files, whatever those are. I navigate to the Mixcraft folder, look through all the application files and folders and find no such files. So, I click on cancel.

4. An error message opens, saying, "Can't find any bank1.bnk files" so I click on cancel.

5. Rainbow: Error
The required file could not be found. Rainbow will n ot run properly until you fix the problem with the installation. Don't hestitate to contact Big Tick at Rainbow@chez.com if you need some help for resolving the problem. (at this point I click OK)

6. Rainbow: Error
Bank1.bnk file not found ( I click on OK)

7. Rainbow: Error
(see second Rainbow error message, above) I click OK

8. The Open dialog opens again, this time looking for a rbctrl.ini file. (I click on cancel)

9. Rainbow: Error
See the third Rainbow error message, above (step 5). I click OK

10. I get the second Rainbow error message again. I click OK

11. The Open dialog opens again, this time looking for a sin.rwt file. I click on cancel

12. The third error message (step 5) again. I click on OK

13. Rainbow: Error
Out of memory (I click on OK)

14. Finally, Mixcraft opens and runs just fine.

Now, my first question is: WTF is "Rainbow," in the first place? Second question: Why is it all screwed up so the components for it don't load properly? Third question: Why do I even need Rainbow if Mixcraft apparently runs fine without it? Last question: why has this same problem existed in the last two updates of Mixcraft? I would think someone else is having the same problem I am and that it would have been reported and fixed by now, yet I find no mention of Rainbow at al when I do a search of the Mixcraft forum. Why is that?

Gary

P.S.: I've just sent a copy of this post to Big Tick at Rainbow@chez.com. Maybe they can tell me why their screwed up plugin (if that's what Rainbow is) doesn't install correctly or run. This is how Mixcraft 4 has behaved for the last two versions, right from the moment I first started it after installation. This is not acceptable!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

After googling "Rainbow: Error", I get a lot of results for the game rainbow six. If you have that game installed, it seems to be your problem, not Mixcraft.
Uninstall it and see if Mixcraft is ok after that.
GaryR55

Post by GaryR55 »

Not even close. I don't have the game, never even heard of it.

Gary

P.S.: Does Big Tick Audio have some plugin that is supposed to be in Mixcraft 4.2? Because that seems to be the source of the trouble, from what I've posted above.

P.P.S.: Have a look at this: http://bigtick.pastnotecut.org/index.ph ... =0&lang=EN

P.P.P.S: If it's not something that is packaged with Mixcraft, then it has to be one of the several third party VSTi's I have installed in Mixcraft. Maybe it's become incompatible with Mixcraft or something?
Last edited by GaryR55 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

More googling reveals that you have this installed http://bigtick.pastnotecut.org/index.ph ... OD&pcode=0
it is a synth that is malfunctioning.
Uninstall it and Mixcraft will work fine. It is probably a good idea to reboot the pc, then download a fresh copy of Mixcraft after uninstalling the problem synth.
Last edited by Acoustica Eric on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryR55

Post by GaryR55 »

Aha! Thought so. Thanks, Eric! :D

Gary

P.S.: Yep! That was it, alright! I deleted rainbow.dll from my VST Plugins folder and Mixcraft opened just fine. Thanks!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

You are welcome, a little googling goes a long way ;-)
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Rainbow is a vsti synth made by Big Tick Audio Software.

From what you write it would appear that some time ago someone installed this on your machine.

Normal installation is to the folder C:\Program Files\BigTick\Rainbow2.
That would be the path to your installation directory.

If you want to uninstall you should find the uninstaller in your start menu:
Start Menu>Programs>Rainbow Synth V2>Uninstall Rainbow Synth

If that's not there you should be able to run this:
C:\Program Files\BigTick\Rainbow2\unins000.exe

The program also installs the vsti to your default plugin folder:
C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\rainbow2.dll

You could have Mixcraft "ignore" that particular vsti.
http://acoustica.com/kb/How-Can-I-Disab ... _1076.html

Of course, without actually being able to see your pc I can't know what exactly you have or where anything you have is installed so any of this advice you follow or changes that you make are entirely at your own risk. :)
*Vibrant Audio*
GaryR55

Post by GaryR55 »

Yep, as I mentioned above, I've already uninstalled it, which involved no more than simply deleting the .dll file, which is all there was to the application. Most VSTi's are simply a .dll file you point your VST host toward. There are a few that are stand alone applications and have much more to them, but Rainbow's just a .dll. I'm not sure how or why it had become incompatible, but, from the errorr messages I was getting, my guess is that it orginally came with three other files and those somehow became deleted at some point, so Mixcraft was looking for them and not finding them when it was loading all my plugins. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks.

Gary
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Still, you may want to check that the Big Tick program folder is gone.

It's likely that you either previously deleted or renamed it. It contains the bank files that Rainbow was looking for.

My install of Rainbow includes the stand-alone in a folder that is ~7MB.
*Vibrant Audio*
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

If anyone has a plugin they want to keep that is malfunctioning in Mixcraft, you can also use a text editor to edit the VSTignore.ini file. In this case, you'd add the word "Rainbow" or the first few letters of the plugin's name and that would keep Mixcraft from attempting to load it.
GaryR55

Post by GaryR55 »

Well, that's just it; there is none. That was what I looked for first. I finally found it was just the rainbow.dll file, where I had installed it, in a folder I named VST Plugins, where I keep all my third party instruments.

Gary