Sonar Home Studio 6.2 can't find the VSTi for this

Support and feedback for Pianissimo virtual grand piano software

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

mleghorn

Sonar Home Studio 6.2 can't find the VSTi for this

Post by mleghorn »

I configured Sonar to scan C:\Program Files\Pianissimo. It doesn't find any VSTi's in this folder. I'm using Vista. I downloaded Pianissmimo on 12/04/08. The install program is called Pianissimo-Installer.exe. The file size is 83,903,792 bytes. I don't see anything in C:\Program Files\Pianissimo that resembles a VSTi.

Thanks,
Mike
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Check C:\Program Files\VstPlugins and you should find a folder named Pianissimo.

Configure Sonar to include C:\Program Files\VstPlugins as a VST folder. Many VST's install to that folder by default. Another default VST folder is C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins.

The standalone product is all you will find in C:\Program Files\Pianissimo.
*Vibrant Audio*
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Where'll you'll find the Pianissimo plugin is a bit more complicated than that. Here's how the VSTi component works: the Pianissimo installer checks the registry to see if you've got a default VST folder. If you have one, it places the pianissimo.dll file there. If you don't have one, it creates C:\Program Files\VST\, places the DLL there, writing that folder to your registry as the default VST folder.

Greg
divinit

Can't find VSTi in SONAR

Post by divinit »

The best is to also put c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins and c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins into your search paths, rerun your VST scan completely, then restart SONAR. It should show up. Note that it might be in the above directories, but in the Program Files (x86) directories instead of just Program Files if you are using a 64 bit OS.
Hope that helps!

One plus about the VSTi is that you CAN save the tone changes you make as presets, but you will have to reload them if you go away from Pianissimo as your focus instrument. Something in SONAR or Pianissimo resets it back whenever you leave the plugin. Works great, though!
Good luck!

SONAR Producer 8 x64 version, WinXP64 desktop, Vista64 Ultimate laptop,
both Dual Core AMD64 processors, tons of RAM, yada yada....
When in the process of self-examination, one should first determine if that self that is DOING the examination is, in fact, sane.

Krishnamurti...
mleghorn

Problem solved!

Post by mleghorn »

Thanks for the quick replies.

I looked at the install log, and saw which folder the vsti was being installed in. I went to that folder, and copied all the files into a new folder under my VST folder that Cakewalk scans.

I'm away from my DAW right now, so I don't remember which folder the VST was originally put into.
Mike
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

By the way, build 10 was released yesterday evening.

Get the latest version of Pianissimo here

List of version changes

Greg
Vibrant Audio

Re: Problem solved!

Post by Vibrant Audio »

mleghorn wrote:Thanks for the quick replies.

I looked at the install log, and saw which folder the vsti was being installed in. I went to that folder, and copied all the files into a new folder under my VST folder that Cakewalk scans.

I'm away from my DAW right now, so I don't remember which folder the VST was originally put into.
So, Pianissimo now shows up in Sonar?

And I'm guessing an uninstall won't uninstall those moved files now...
*Vibrant Audio*
mleghorn

Re: Problem solved!

Post by mleghorn »

Vibrant Audio wrote:
mleghorn wrote:Thanks for the quick replies.

So, Pianissimo now shows up in Sonar?

And I'm guessing an uninstall won't uninstall those moved files now...
Yes, Pianissimo now shows up in Sonar. I simply copied all the files from C:\Program Files\MtStudio\VSTplugins\Pianissimo\ to C:\Vstplugins\Pianissimo. (I created the Pianissmo folder in C:\Vstplugins).

I don't believe VST's need to be registered in the windows registry. You can just copy them to whatever place works for you. Likewise, to uninstall the VST, just delete the files. (Uninstalling the host is probably a different matter.)
Mike
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, they don't need to be registered in the registry, but a lot of programs support that.

What really matters is that your DAW knows where to find your plugins.

Greg