Losing Tracks in the library

Post your support questions and/or give feedback for Acoustica MP3 CD Burner in this forum.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

jabez

Losing Tracks in the library

Post by jabez »

Greg

On occassion I open an album to be informed that there are missing tracks. Sometimes an entire ripped album (CD) goes missing. CD Burner will ask to clean the library of missing tracks and sometimes the loss of tracks can be substantial. The last time I allowed the software to cleanse the library of missing tracks, a loss of 489 tracks occurred.

I would like to see if these tracks are still on the hard drive so that they can be recovered. When there is a purge of missing tracks Acoustica does no ID the titles of the missing tracks. Occasionally a track is unchecked in the library and that is easily remedied. On a cleansing I am forced to go through the tedious effort of randomly opening albums and seeing if there are missing tracks or the entire CD is lost. Is there a technique to recover these tracks or albums without having to re-rip the albums?

Thanks .

Jabez
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The music library in MP3 CD Burner is just a list of songs on your computer. When you clean the library, you are just removing entries in the list that don't point to actual sound files anymore. The sound files could have been moved or renamed or a folder name could have changed, and this would cause the songs to be "missing." They really aren't missing at all, they are just missing from the list in the music library.

Go into the Sound Scan preferences and make sure that MP3 CD Burner is searching the folders where your songs are stored, then scan for songs.

You can also just drag and drop the songs from Windows into MP3 CD burner's song list.

Greg
jabez

Post by jabez »

Greg

I have a new but related problem with Acoustica recognizing songs and CDs. I purchased a new faster computer and reinstalled Acoustica CD Burner on it. I then took the hard drive out of the former computer and added it as a second Hard Drive to the new computer. I pointed to the folder containing the music on drive two, and Acoustica picked up many, but not all songs. When I open a listed CD, it lists the songs, and then Acoustica identifies the songs are missing. I noted that the Drive C (in the older computer) was now drive F on the new computer.

As an alternative technique, I elminated the library, transferred the music on drive two to an external drive (using Second Copy 7). When I scanned for the music with Acoustica, on the external drive, it brought in songs, and folders but did not recognize individual music CDs.

If I erase (delete) the library and use a copy and paste function using Windows Explorer would the results be any better recognizing the CDs and the music within them? There are many CDs so manually inputing songs would be laborious.

Jabez
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

1) Are any of the songs on the secondary drive in wma format? If so, are they DRM protected? If so, you need to transfer the license files along with the songs. the license files are downloaded with the songs when you buy them from sources such as walmart.com etc.
DRM could also get put on wma files if you rip with certain settings using windows media player.
2) What do you mean when say it doesn't pick up cd's? You have entire cd's ripped to your hard drive as a single file?
Compilation Maestro

Continual Missing Tracks On Playlists & song format chan

Post by Compilation Maestro »

I've had the Acoustica MP3 CD burner software since late 2006 and, for the most part, and for all its good intentions and functions, have found it to be problematic in the way of continually loosing one or more tracks on every playlist I have ever saved and go back to.

First off, I should say, I have not deleted any of these missing tracks on these Acoustica playlists or from my computer. And yet some of these tracks are deleted and no longer reside on my computer! They used to show up in my Windows Media Player but are no longer available!

I understand that certain files can be relocated and need to be rediscovered and added back to the Acoustica library (I've had to do that many times). But that is not my complaint this time (even though that is VERY annoying; Windows Media Player is rarely as temperamental, and I have very rarely lost song files on my WM playlists). My complaint is actual song files deleted from my computer. And most of these missing/delete tracks in question were only used on Acoustica playlists.

Another annoyance is when a song file -- that would playback on both my Windows Media Player and Acoustica software -- mysteriously change format so that it cannot be played on WM without having to convert it.

Windows Media Player is excellent for playback and compiling, but little else. Acoustica MP3 CD Burner has editing capabilities (albeit limited) that I paid for and would expect much more from. And the double entry, triple entry, etc. results for the same song file in Acoustica's search engine is annoying and useless. I never know which song file is the one that works and which aren't, until I've played it.

Corrupted software, perhaps? No. I've redownloaded the software and experienced the same problems time and time again.

There is a bug in the system. Why can't anybody own up to this?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Mp3 cd burner does not delete or move or rename files. If that is happening, then you (or some other process) are doing it somehow without knowing that you are doing it.
I have mp3 cd burner installed on many machines (obviously) and this never happens to me, the only thing I have to do once in a while is rescan to add new music that I have aquired.

Do you have itunes? How about other music management software? How about a backup and sync tool which might rename files or move them in order to keep sync between your hard drive and a backup destination drive? There are tons of reasons things like this could happen that are not even remotely related to mp3 cd burner.

Mp3 cd burner creates a song library of the music on your computer, which is essentially just a simple text file, all it does is reference the location of the songs, if that location (name, location, existence) changes, then yes of course the software will no longer know where the file is.

I just saw your part about the format of the audio files getting changed, mp3 cd burner certainly won't do that. That is more of an itunes thing, I think (i don't use itunes) itunes, unless told not to, will convert your audio files to mp4? or whatever apple format is.