Too many mic issues, any help?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Moh214

Too many mic issues, any help?

Post by Moh214 »

Alright so i'm using my old laptop, (Dell Inspiron E1505) with Windows XP while my new one is at the factory, but i've been having issues with my Mic on both computers.

I have 2 mics, one is a $20 dynamic mic from Radioshack, and another is a $100 AKG D5 mic from Guitar Center, but for some reason the Radioshack one sounds better.

Both mics have a static issue, and both of them only playback on the left speaker so i have to pan about 55% to the right to get equal sound from both speakers.

And the AKG mic can barely be heard, i have scream into the mic just to be heard a little bit. The Radioshack mic is a bit louder. Again, both have static and have horrible quality.
I've tried out my AKG mic on an AMP and it sounds perfect, great pickup and great quality, but then on the computer it sounds horrible.

I have no way of turning up the DB either, because there's no option for it on Windows XP, and my sound card is SigmaTel Audio.

Any help is appreciated, i'm just getting frustrated with getting horrible quality on my recordings.
packaloon

Post by packaloon »

Yeow,
I was having same low input problems and was told to go to windows volume control. Click on options>properties and uncheck everything except your speakers, main volume and mic. Then go back to volume control>options and check advanced.Advanced box will be at bottom of mic volume. Click on that and check the boost box at bottom and let me know what happens. It makes my mic real sensitive but I am now dealing with a hiss issue. Want to see if it gives you hiss problems too.
packaloon

Post by packaloon »

Sorry I misinformed you earlier. I have edited my reply to your post if you still want to check it out.
Moh214

Post by Moh214 »

packaloon wrote:Yeow,
I was having same low input problems and was told to go to windows volume control. Click on options>properties and uncheck everything except your speakers, main volume and mic. Then go back to volume control>options and check advanced.Advanced box will be at bottom of mic volume. Click on that and check the boost box at bottom and let me know what happens. It makes my mic real sensitive but I am now dealing with a hiss issue. Want to see if it gives you hiss problems too.

Hmm, that actually did help a bit.
I don't get static issues surprisingly, and the boost went up a bit. Still not to the extent that it should, and it is still playing only out of my left speaker, but it's good enough for now.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In regard to it only playing in the Left speaker, just choose "Left" when you arm the track. This will give you a centered mono recording that you can then pan left or right in your stereo mix.

Greg