HELP!?! Can't get WaveRT latency below 20Mils

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Brian Maiden

HELP!?! Can't get WaveRT latency below 20Mils

Post by Brian Maiden »

I want to put live drums down against MIDI/ VST tracks but I've got a slight latency that is driving me up the wall.

Preferences for WaveRT won't let me go below 20Mils and the only sample rate I can select is 48000. Does anybody know why I can't select a lower latency value? Is there anyway I can get this down to 10Mils or lower?

I'm running a new Dell Studio laptop; 4Gb RAM; onbaord soundcard with Audigy upgrade; and Vista (*have to share this with the wife, so can't go back to XP without a lot of complaining*).

I've downloaded ASIO but it doesn't recognise the inputs or outputs at the moment - before I start trying to fix this I thought I would give WaveRT one more go. Can anybody help me???
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The soundcards that come integrated into motherboards often have high latency. Using ASIO4All might help, but the ultimate solution is to get a low-latency soundcard that's designed for home recording - something like a M-Audio Fast Track Pro or a Line6 Toneport, for example.

You can also try using Wave, and lowering the buffer size to 4096.

Greg
Brian Maiden

Post by Brian Maiden »

Thanks for the reply. I kind of expected that. However, I still don't understand why I can't actually set a lower latency that 20Mils, even if that will cause poor performance and audio gapping etc. Surely I should be able to choose 10 Mils in preferences? Is this a preset or something?
JustOneOldMan

Post by JustOneOldMan »

Can't tell you why you can't go below 20ms, Brian, but just wondered if you'd considered trying USB in before you get a new soundcard...
Brian Maiden

Post by Brian Maiden »

but just wondered if you'd considered trying USB in before you get a new soundcard...
i'm now going to show what a massive newbie i am... can you clarify what you mean by 'trying usb'? do you mean getting an external device to plug my mic into which i then plug into the laptop via usb?

PS apols for time between posts - new baby!