"Error loading the Pianissimo sample data" - Sonar

Post by switch »

Hello. I am running on the following platform:

Win XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.5 ghz
3 GB RAM
Cakewalk Sonar 6 Producer
Echo Layla 3G interfaces

I installed the lastest trial download of Pianissimo (1.0 b12). The software runs correctly as a standalone. The problems I'm having are in Sonar.

With any existing project I have, I get the same error message when attempting to load Pianissimo:

"There was an error loading the Pianissimo sample data file. The instrument will not play properly. Please reinstall Pianissimo, or contact customer support for further assistance."

I have tried loading Pianissimo as a plug in directly on an audio track in Sonar, as well as installing it via the Synth Rack. Both have the same results. I have also tried uninstalling/reinstalling, with reboots in between.

Interestingly, I'm able to get it to work if I create a brand new project, with no other plug ins set up first. I also have to add it via the Synth rack. I do not get any audio while trying to play the virtual keyboard, but it will play back MIDI data from a track in Sonar. I can not get any existing project of mine to work though (and I've got a ton of them). I checked out PianissimoHost-Log.txt and Pianissimo-Log.txt, but neither had anything obvious (though admittedly I don't know what I'm looking for).

Please advise, as I really like what I've heard thus far with Pianissimo and would love to purchase it...but it HAS to work with my existing projects first :D

Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Can you please send us your Pianissimo VST log file?

The log file is called Pianissimo-Log.txt and it's located in your VST folder. In many cases, the location would be here:

C:\Program Files\VST\Pianissimo\Pianissimo-Log.txt

If you've used other audio software, the VST folder may be in a different location. In that case, search your computer for "Pianissimo-Log."

Please submit an Acoustica Support Request to send us the log file.

Greg
switch

Post by switch »

I sent the log in, ticket 89404.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

The work around for this problem is to make sure that Pianissimo is the first VSTi that is loaded in your project. Pianissimo requires 250 megabytes of unbroken RAM in order to load. If your project has other large effects or virtual instruments loading first, there may not be enough memory to load Pianissimo.

We'll look at a fix for this problem in a future update to Pianissimo.
switch

Post by switch »

Interesting. I don't think it's a matter of resources on my machine, as i have 3 GB of RAM, and I'm using about 1.75 with the projects where Pianissimo is a problem. I do however have many other VSTi's loaded at the same time, and I have no idea what order they are loaded in. So I do think the unbroken RAM part could describe my configuration.

Do you have any idea as to what the order typically is for loading VST's, or how you can make something "be first"? I suppose that's a question I'd need to ask Cakewalk. It would certainly be great if I could get a fix going, as I'd defintely purchase Pianissimo, because it sounds great!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Just add Pianissimo first on a new project and then hopefully you'll avoid this problem.

On existing projects, I suppose you could try removing all the other VSTs and then adding Pianissimo.

Greg
switch

Post by switch »

I'll give that a try on an existing project and let you know.
Milt

Post by Milt »

I'm having the same problem. I tried inserting Pianissimo first in a new Sonar project, but still got the error message. I don't get the error message when I insert Pianissimo in a Reaper project, and I get the popup that says that it is loading sample data, but Pianissimo will not play.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hmmm, maybe Sonar is not allocating 250 megabytes of contiguous memory. Make sure you've got all the latest updates for Sonar.
Milt

Post by Milt »

I have the latest version of Sonar, 8.5.1.
Milt

Post by Milt »

Now I have noticed that the Acoustica instruments will not play in Sonar or Reaper as well. Both of them and Panissimo function normally in Mixcraft. Any ideas?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The Acoustica Instruments VSTi only works in Mixcraft, so that's normal.

Greg
Milt

Post by Milt »

The Acoustica Instruments VST that I have works just fine in Sonar-for some reason it started working again, but that still is no help with the original problem. I never had a problem with Pianissimo before, but now it won't load samples when used as a VST in a host. Gotta fix this somehow.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm not sure what else to suggest. Make sure that it is the first VST you load in a new project, and quit any other programs that might be running in the background before you start Sonar. See if that helps.

Greg