mp3 file size changes after conversion back from wav

Support and feedback for Acoustica Audio Converter Pro and MP3 to Wave Converter PLUS.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Doug64

mp3 file size changes after conversion back from wav

Post by Doug64 »

I have some .mp3 files that I want to edit. When I convert to .wav and convert back (even if I have not edited them), the files are significantly smaller than the original files using the default setting on the Acoustica Audio Converter Pro. If I use a third party converter in the wav editor such as Creative's Wave Studio 7 or Audacity 1.2.6, the reconverted files are smaller yet. Note: I tried the highest setting on the Acoustica Audio Converter Pro and ended up with a larger mp3 file size. Why does this occur and what effect does the smaller output file have on sound quality?

Examples: original file 9106 KB, Reconverted Acoustica Audio Converter Pro default setting: 6700 KB, Audacity reconverted: 3890 KB. Reconverted Acoustica Audio Converter Pro highest setting: 11155 KB.

Thanks,
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Is the converted file set to be at a lower quality? Was there silence trimmed from the start and end? Both of those things could explain a smaller file size.

Go into the converter's options and check out the MP3 settings and the Audio processing settings.

Give the files a listen with headphones and see how the quality sounds.

Greg