Voices in Pianissimo and Mixcraft

Support and feedback for Pianissimo virtual grand piano software

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

jhart

Voices in Pianissimo and Mixcraft

Post by jhart »

How do the voices in Pianissimo compare with the piano voices in Mixcraft? Are they the same? Do they overlap partially? Are the piano voices in Pianissimo better than those in Mixcraft, if so, in what way?
Joe
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Pianissimo has a richer and fuller sound than the "Acoustica Instruments" piano that comes with Mixcraft 4. Here's a description from the product page:

"Pianissimo uses a combination of sample playback and advanced physical modeling to create a stunning acoustic grand piano sound. Starting with 250 MB of high quality samples of a SteinwayÔäó Model D grand piano, Pianissimo uses complex signal processing and programming to recreate the warmth, response, and playability of a real grand piano. This warm, natural sound is then paired with a professional studio-quality reverb algorithm to add the depth and ambiance of a real acoustic space. Add in modeled sympathetic resonance, incidental mechanical hammer sounds, remarkable control over tone and velocity response, 256 voices of polyphony, and incredibly low CPU usage, and Pianissimo might just be the best sounding, most playable virtual piano ever."

The piano that comes in Mixcraft doesn't include those additional features that give Pianissimo its realistic sound.

Give the free trials a listen.

Greg
jhart

More on Pianissimo

Post by jhart »

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the information. To my ear the Pianissimo voices sound more rich, vibrant, and deeper than the Acoustica piano voices in Mixcraft.

I did some tests recording different piano voices from different sources with Mixcraft. To do the tests I repeatedly recorded Diabelli's Melodius Piece, which was perfect because it is just 8 bars and has a very simple melody and simple harmonic chording.

The tests showed Pianissimo to be superior to voices from my old Yamaha PSR 530, to Acoustica voices, and to Synth1VST voices. I could record multiple tracks in the same Mixcraft project and then just Mute or Solo a track to quickly compare the various voices. (Interestingly, my Yamaha XG piano voices were better than my General Midi voices, but still not as good as Pianissimo.) So, I've decided to purchase Pianissimo.

Do you have recommendations for VST packages that supplement other non-piano voices in Mixcraft?
Joe
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There are lots and lots of VSTi packages out there. It all depends on what instruments you want.

Greg
jhart

Post by jhart »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

There are lots and lots of VSTi packages out there. It all depends on what instruments you want.

Greg
I'm interested especially in synths and synth pads. I know there are many to choose from. Just asking about your favorites.
Joe
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I really like the new Messiah VSTi in Mixcraft 5. It sounds like the old Prophet synths.

What kind of sound are you looking for, exactly? Maybe other forum readers have suggestions.

Greg