Mic preamp + mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Aage

Mic preamp + mixcraft

Post by Aage »

Hi,

I have just bought Mixcraft, and I started setting up my home studio. To my disappointment, my M-Audio DUO mic preamp, which I wanted to use to record my trumpet, just doesn't seem to work.

1) First I wonder if anyone had any experience with the DUO. I had to install XP (instead of VISTA), because there are no drivers for VISTA. After installing, I found the DUO in preferences in mixcraft, but I got no sound out, and no sound from the mic is detected. After a while I heared a very, very weak sound from my headphones connected to the DUO, but it is so weak that I can barely hear it. Do anyone have any experience with this?

2) If I need to get a new mic preamp, I wonder if anyone has any suggestions. I have been thinking about getting a new DUO (have to buy it used, I guess), but I also considered the MBox. I am going to record trumpet, and I guess that the sound card in my laptop isn't enough in any case. I (we) are new to this, and would be thankful for any suggestions of equipment to record trumpet in mixcraft.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I haven't tested one of those devices, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work. In Mixcraft, click on the File menu, then select Preferences and look at the Sound Device preferences. What do you have selected: Wave, ASIO or WaveRT? What do you have selected for the Playback and Recording devices?

Are you using Mixcraft 4.5 build 118? If not, download the latest version of Mixcraft.

Greg
Aage

Post by Aage »

It turned out that my DUO was broken, as I feared. I borrowed an m-audio fast track ultra and that worked. I am not very happy with the sound, but it worked. I have a problem when I select ASIO in preferences, and I get a terrible clipping sound when I record and playback. When I choose Wave, the noise vanishes, but I guess using Wave is not ideal, since the drivers for the fast track ultra is ASIO?