ACP or MP3 to wave converter in Windows 7

Support and feedback for Acoustica Audio Converter Pro and MP3 to Wave Converter PLUS.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

DrSpliff

ACP or MP3 to wave converter in Windows 7

Post by DrSpliff »

Hi,

will any of above work under windows 7 (using x64 if any difference) in a future release ... if so, when? Really miss it.

Cheers
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes they will but you need to use this workaround for 64 bit systems.
DrSpliff

Post by DrSpliff »

The workaround doesnt work for me on win 7 x64 unfortunately (still no menu when rightclick). Thanks anyways ... command line for now. Is there any way to make the converter convert all files in a directory? F.i;

mp3towave -3 "c:\bounces\*.wav"

...but that only converts 1st file in directory?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're told you can use the workaround 64-bit Windows 7 if you install the Windows XP Virtual PC.

To do what you want to do with the command line interface, you'd have to make a .bat file.

Greg
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Ok, it took me a few hours but I did this on my 7 machine and yes it works fine. You just have to share a folder between the host and the VM.
DrSpliff

Post by DrSpliff »

Acoustica Greg wrote:To do what you want to do with the command line interface, you'd have to make a .bat file.

Greg
I know how to make a bat file - but please, if anyone knows, tell me the command line for converting all files in a directory. When using the;

mp3towave -3 "c:\bounces\*.wav"

line still only converts 1st file and nothing more. (in a batch file - just to make things clear ;))
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I knew you were going to ask that. :wink: Here's a batch file line that would do what you want to do, assuming you are running the batch file from the folder where the wave files reside:

FOR %%c IN (.\*.wav) DO C:\Program^ Files\Acoustica^ Audio^ Converter^ Pro\mp3towave -3 "%%c"

Read up on FOR loops. It's amazing what you can do with batch files.

Greg
DrSpliff

Post by DrSpliff »

Thank you very much, Greg!! ImageImage
jsloan1223

can't use virtual machine

Post by jsloan1223 »

Hello,
I recently upgraded my machine to windows7 64bit, and AC Pro doesn't work anymore. The workaround does not work on 64bit win7. I can't use VM because it says i don't have compatible hardware.

Do I seriously have to use command line mode to convert the audio files?

How soon will AC Pro be able to work winth win7 64bit?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The other option is to run the Windows XP virtual PC and that should allow you to create the shortcut workaround.

We're probably not going to be updating Audio Converter Pro.

Greg
jsloan1223

bummer

Post by jsloan1223 »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the quick response. I am rather unhappy that there are no updates coming for the audio converter pro. My command prompt skills are more than a little rusty. :-/

Can you recommend another program that is more compatible with win7 64bit?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There's another workaround besides the command prompt, in which you create a 32-bit explorer window that allows you to use the converter normally. Unfortunately, the 32-bit explorer shortcut doesn't work in Windows 7 unless you install the XP virtual PC.

For an alternative, you might look at something like dBpoweramp.

Greg
jsloan1223

Post by jsloan1223 »

Hi Greg,

The virtualPC refuses to install on my machine. it says my hardware is not compatible. So that won't work for me either. I tried the command line; cd to this folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Acoustica Audio Converter Pro>
and typed this:
mp3towave.exe -3 "C:\users\username\music\filename.mp3"

But nothing happened. No error messages, but nothing got converted. I also tried various combinations without the .mp3 and putting the -3 at the end, with the same non-result. drat. I even tried the compatibility wizard, but no success there either.

I guess I will just use an old machine for now, while I look for an alternate program. Thanks for your help Greg.

JSloan1223
jak25

Agh! Disappointing about Windows 7!

Post by jak25 »

Hey Greg,

Well, after using MP3 to Wave Converter for the last, oh, 6 or 7 year and absolutely LOVING it, I'm SOOO disappointed you guys aren't continuing support for it through Windows 7. Since you don't offer a comarable product for this platform (64 bit), it looks like you'd just prefer to lose loyal users! It's a bizarre business model, for sure.

I'm sorry, the DOS prompt method is absolutely, ridiculously antithetical to the whole simple process of the program! Why in hell would anyone go through such striations to convert a file, when the whole point is to click and go? Puzzling - I don't get it.

Anyway, I did go and get dBpoweramp, and it actually offers more options than MP3 to Wave, so thanks for the tip. I guess I'll check back every now and then, but for the most part, thanks, it's been useful.

Larry
Celluloid Dreams - Celebrating the Art of Film and the Movie-going Experience!
www.celluloiddreams.net
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

As you know, it works fine with Windows 7, just not the 64-bit version of Windows 7. The 32-bit shell work-around works fine with 64-bit Windows XP and Vista, but not Windows 7. However, some people are able to use that work-around by installing the Windows XP Virtual PC.

We hate to disappoint our long-time fans, but it's just not practical for us to continue developing these old products. We're a small company and we need to concentrate our development efforts on the products that will bring us forward into the future.

Greg