Do I need to buy an actual compressor for my mic ?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

nateasy

Do I need to buy an actual compressor for my mic ?

Post by nateasy »

like the hardware ? Or can I just compress with the software ?
markcm

Post by markcm »

I'm a rookie but I think I can answer this pretty well. There are built in VST (software) compressors in Mixcraft and you can add your own free or purchased VST software compressors as well. So no, you don't "have to" buy a compressor.

From what I've been reading, hardware compressors are much preferred to software, particularly if you're talking free or cheap software. For the entry level rookie, I use the built in software compressor for now.

The same goes for hardware compressors, you get what you pay for. There's a few recent threads here on using guitar-effects or multi-effects processors for compressing mic's, some with reasonable results and others without; basically a trial and error if you have one but don't go out buying one for this purpose. I've read a few forums on vocal compression and it seems that if you want ultra low entry level you may find something better than a paper weight for around $75 although most of what I've seen, people won't even acknowledge a hardware compressor under a few hundred dollars. I've also found that people seem to swear by a good compressor considering it a manditory life line for vocal recording.
Mackie Onyx 1620 Firewire mixer
Intel Dual core, win7 x64 (4gb Ram)
R0ckerb0y

Post by R0ckerb0y »

In my limited experience I've found that having a hardware compressor inline before the computer/recording interface prevents you from peaking.

If you shout/yell/scream etc into a Mic and your levels are set for your regular singing voice, you will create a bloated sound that can't be fixed in the mix with a compression VST.

On the other hand, if you have your levels turned down so that you CAN scream into the Mic then your regular singing voice will be too quiet overall.

A compressor makes all that stay in the mid-range.
dejavue56

Post by dejavue56 »

Usually for studio vocal recording you should be several inches from your mic (with a pop filter) and can adjust input gain to avoid clipping without compression.

So compression during studio recording is not required in most cases of medium to soft vocals and when using monitor headphones. However it is required during recording for loud vocals/screamers. You will always add compression to vocal track at some point. So I am not saying compressions is not required, its a question of when to do it.

In a live environment, you are usually on top of the mic and want to avoid feedback from bleed through sounds-in that case a front end vocal compressor is a requirement.
aileron

Post by aileron »

Just in case you have a guitar effects pedal, read this post.

http://demon.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6475
nateasy

Post by nateasy »

Thank you guys for all the input . I really appreciate it .

So since i'm going to do soft singing AND vocal screaming ,
I should get an actual hardware compressor , right ?

Or else I'll get a lot of pitchy noise and once it hits the computer ,
even a vst software compressor can't fix it .

Am I getting all this right ?
R0ckerb0y

Post by R0ckerb0y »

If I were you, I would.

Perhaps just start out with a $50 guitar compressor pedal, see how that feels/sounds.

If it's a step in the right direction but not quite there, sell it for $50 and get a small rack unit. :)

As was mentioned, if you can record in 24 bit, test setting your levels and screaming..... worst case scenario you delete the train wreck and search for a compressor. ;)
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hi there,

Yep, you're right on. If your input level "clips" (is too loud) the recording will be distorted and there's no way to fix it. The solution is to lower your microphone's recording level, but then there's still the risk that one good loud note will still cause clipping, plus by lowering your recording volume you're getting a poorer-quality recording for the rest of your vocals.

A hardware compressor will prevent clipping during recording, but you might want to it lightly, more as a limiter than a compressor. Because once you've recorded your vocals through a compressor, there's no real way to un-compress them. If you get a mostly-unprocessed signal into Mixcraft, then you can add software compressors, and of course change their settings non-destructively if you change your mind about how much compression you want.

Dan
nateasy

Post by nateasy »

Okay cool cool . Thank you guys a lot .
I'm really now to this and research has been such a pain .

To Dan (or anyone else with an available anwser) ,

Is a limiter and compressor the same thing ? Or are they different ?

Which one should I purchase ?

Nate
mozzy

hardware preamp and software compressor

Post by mozzy »

Hi, i get great results with an Art Tube MP preamp as hardware and Sonitus plugin compressor (rock vocal preset) where when set up i can scream so much i get hoarse and turn blue!!! :lol: :D
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

nateasy, a limiter will limit the peak of your signal, that's all.
Compressors do that and also boost the quiet/lower sounds in an attempt to smooth it out and make it all the same or similar level.

Dan is right, you don't HAVE to have one, you can do it with the acoustica or classic compressor which comes with mixcraft, you just might find later on when you get used to all this, that you like to put a hardware compressor in line, it is certainly not a must.
nateasy

Post by nateasy »

Thank you guys . I will hold off on buying one and see how the software compressor works for me .
gigmaster

Post by gigmaster »

The software compressors in Mixcraft are as good as I've ever used, and a lot better than most hardware units I have tried in the past. I can't imagine why you would need any other compressors than these. They give absolutely professional results.

There is one other very good option though. Besides Mixcraft, one of the best things I have purchased recently has been my Digitech Vocalist Live 4 processor. This thing is unbelievable. Great, realistic harmonies, and vocal effects that are as good as it gets. This unit can make a $20.00 Radio Shack microphone sound and record like a $1000.00 Senheisser Studio mic. I am not exaggerating.

I thought it was a bit pricey, at near $500.00, until I used it. Now, I won't do a show or recording without it.

This unit will solve any issues or problems you have with any vocal recording, or performance, anywhere.