LAME

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

R0ckerb0y

LAME

Post by R0ckerb0y »

:)

Since Beatcraft (And I assume Mixcraft?) use LAME for Encoding MP3's, should I be downloading the latest version of LAME for my Studio PC?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

No reason unless you have a lame encoder specific issue.
R0ckerb0y

Post by R0ckerb0y »

In beatcraft I've noticed encoding the same (Unmodified) drum track (As MP3) twice does not yield identical results.

I was thinking maybe it was a LAME thing...

I have played around a bit and found tagless OGG to do it pretty well though, so I'll just go with that. :)
Bill Melater

Little kids in shopping malls who keep calling you Garth

Post by Bill Melater »

LAME!

"Bands who make it big but their guitar player still bums cigarettes off you!"
"...actually that's pretty cool."
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

You render the same sequence twice from Beatcraft and you get two different results????? I have never heard of such a thing.
R0ckerb0y

Post by R0ckerb0y »

Yeah, I don't understand it completely.

Here's a picture of what I mean. (This drum sequence was unmodified, just rendered three times.)

The first track is an OGG render without tag info at max quality.
The second track is an OGG render with tag info at max quality.
The third track is an MP3 with tag info at max quality.

As you can see, the OGG files are slightly off, but MUCH closer than the MP3.

In this second picture, I scrolled about 2 minutes into the song, and as you can see, they are vastly different.

In the end, I've worked out rendering it as an OGG file with no tag info at Max resolution. It renders accurate enough that I can't see a difference.

But I'm going to have to re-record the entire rest of the song to match the newly rendered OGG format. (I tried adjusting the drum track left and right to match but it never quite sounded right.)

The original track was an MP3, but when I change the TAG info (Add notes to describe updates in the drum track etc) it appears to change the rendering of the track as well.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

That's pretty weird I must agree. Are you trying to add drums to an already existing song? I have a rule which is drums always come first, then it doesn't matter where they start or end, the human player will follow. Drum machines cannot follow humans.
R0ckerb0y

Post by R0ckerb0y »

Kinda sorta. I created a basic click track with a high hat and kick drum to allow me to map out the flow of the song.

So while I'm not making it longer, I am going through and adding real steps to flesh out the verses etc.

I also changed the kit from the acoustica rock kit to your badass Tama kit. Would changing kits or modifying internal steps contribute to the out of sync problem?

The examples in the screen shots of course don't have any step changes as I just rendered the same thing three times.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

That's a good question. The samples from the included kit might have more or less blank space before the actual sample happens. Same goes for my tama kit. So yes there certainly could be a difference between the two.
When I created the Tama kit, I cut off the blank space as close as I possibly could without getting into the actual sound.
R0ckerb0y

Post by R0ckerb0y »

It sounds like it too.

When I picked up the Tama kit I sat there for about 10 minutes just clicking the samples. They're amazing. Since I don't own a Tama kit (But always wanted to) this was the closest to actually owning one I'll get lol.

Although with my Guitar hero world tour kit, Midi yoke and Midi program I'll be able to play like I have a 5 piece version ;)
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes being a veteran musician I am very pleased that soon people will be able to write and record using video game controllers. (can ya feel the sarcasm?)
R0ckerb0y

Post by R0ckerb0y »

Yeah, I hear ya.

Still pisses me off when my 12 year old son can play circles around me on Guitar hero...

I told him "Pick up the real thing punk and let's throw down again...."
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yeah I have noticed that if a person can play an actual guitar, they tend to be pretty bad at guitar hero, my guess is because it's not even remotely close as far as timing and scaling/note positioning.
R0ckerb0y

Post by R0ckerb0y »

Side note. Guitar hero 3 will ship with a real fender strat. Dunno how they'll work out the interface, but I'll still be out of the running until they ship a large necked guitar.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

That seems odd, so kids will have to learn to actually play the instrument in order to play the game? Or will there still be only 4-6 dots to follow on screen?