Audio Editor

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

botface

Audio Editor

Post by botface »

I know an audio editor feature has been requested but I obviously don't know if it's slated for inclusion. However, if it is being worked on do you guys have a firm design already or would you like some input?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What are you looking for in an audio editor?

Greg
botface

Post by botface »

Greg,
I started to write a detailed "system spec" but it dawned on me that it's not a question of facilities so much as the quality of the display. I find myself using my editor (Cooledit if you're interested) when I need to zoom in at a very low level and/or select a small area of the waveform to make a change to.

I find the tracking area of MC too small and the zoom options too limited (OK I know I can expand the track but that's several extra operations.

The display in the SOUND tab is much better - though you still can't zoom in to a low enough level - in this respect but it doesn't show any time markers and there doesn't seem to be a way of putting a marker on a track in the tracking area and have it displayed in the sound view (maybe I've just not been able to find it). Also it doesn't show both channels of a stereo track; not that I'm sure that's really needed as I'm sure most people work with mono tracks.

Apart from that there are indeed some facilities - though not as many as I initially thought - you need in an editor that you don't need in recording software and vice versa, but I expect you already have that covered

The main thing I used to like about Cooledit when I used it for recording is that you can switch back and forth between "Multitrack View" where you do your recoding and "Edit View" where you do your editing with one click. Each view only contained toolbars, icons etc relevant to that view. And each view was able to use the maximum screen area as they weren't both on screen at the same time. The cursor position was also retained when switching between the views making location yourself very easy.

I think that's the main stuff. If you're wanting something more detailed let me know and I'll try to put down some specifics.

On a completely different topic are you planning on improving the score writer in MC? I sometimes need to write a part out in notation in a score writer, export it as MIDI and import the MIDI file into MC to incorporate in my project. I do this because my keyboard skills are sometimes not up to the job of playing the part myself and because MC's own score writing feature is a bit limited for the purpose. If you want any pointers on this aspect have a look at Musescore, an open source (free) score writer that's more than good enough - even for professional orchestration tasks
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

We may be making some updates to the notation feature in Mixcraft, but at least for now, it's not intended to be full-fledged notation software. Programs like Finale, Sibelius and Musicsore would be your best bet for advanced notation features.

Greg