Beatcraft to Mixcraft problem

Support and feedback for Beatcraft.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

JATIII

Beatcraft to Mixcraft problem

Post by JATIII »

I'm a newbie to both Beatcraft & Mixcraft ... just bought the musicians bundle. I made a sample drum sequence with Beatcraft, rendered it to both WAV & MP3 files. When I play the sequence in Beatcraft/WAV/MP3 it sounds great. When I drag it into Mixcraft and play it, it sounds like a guy hitting a tin can with a stick. What am I missing?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

How does it sound if you play it in Windows Media Player or Winamp or something? When you bring it into Mixcraft, are you playing it by itself or with other sounds on other tracks?

Greg
JATIII

Post by JATIII »

Hi Greg,
Let me start over because something really weird is going on. I started to reply to your post and then decided to go back and recreate the test project like I did before (the one in the Beatcraft User Guide). When I did that I now have the same problem in Beatcraft that I had in Mixcraft. Specifically, it seems that the Acoustic Kick sound is no longer a realistic deep bass sound like it was (and that you would expect), but it sounds really high pitched and tinny. Then I went back and played the MP3 and WAV files and they had that same tinny sound Acoustic Kick. I'd swear that they sounded fine when they were originally rendered, but that doesn't make any sense. I then uninstalled Beatcraft and re-installed it and the Acoustic Kick is still screwed up. I tried the Kicks in other drum sets and none of them sound right. I'm at a complete loss as to what happened. Thanks for your help.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Sounds like a mismatch of sample rates. Does your computer have multiple audio devices that you playback through?
What are you playing back through when the odd sound occurs? Computers internal sound card to speakers? An external usb device?
If you copy the audio file to another pc, or burn it to a cd, does it sound better on other devices?
JATIII

Post by JATIII »

Hi Eric,
OK your post got me thinking ... here's what's happening. Apparently (I'm not 100% sure) when a made the test project, I was using headphones plugged into the headphone jack on my PC (Window 7, Intel I7-920 9 GB DDR) and it sounded fine. Later on I tried to listen to it using the regular speakers built into my monitor via HDMI and that's when the sound was different. I just put the headphones on and tried the test project and it sounds great. The sound card is the default integrated Realtek ALC888S. I downloaded the latest drivers. I also have the same problem of the sound not being right on the defaults speakers on my laptop.

I tried plugging in external speakers into speaker jack and changing the default to those speakers and they sound same (tinny). When I change back to the headphones everything sounds great. I'm really confused, but at least we're narrowing in on the problem. Thanks for your help.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Well firstly, the little speakers in your monitor or laptop are not going to have any low end at all, which will make kick drums sound like a click.
Also you should probably update the sound card driver by downloading it from the motherboard manufacturers web site. Reinstalling will probably help even if the driver is already up to date.
JATIII

Post by JATIII »

I already downloaded and installed the most up to date drivers for the sound card as mentioned above. I see what your mean about the monitor and laptop speakers. Shouldn't the external speakers I connected have made a difference or do I need to connect really good stereo quality speakers. Thanks.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

You'd need some pretty good speakers to get the real sound of the drums, a two speaker/$20 set won't reproduce the low end.
Any speaker system with a sub will work fine.
I have something similar to this and they thump nicely.
2.1 Speaker system
chambersix

Re: Beatcraft to Mixcraft problem

Post by chambersix »

The problem is in the playback device. change your settings in file<preferences<sound card
kaiyara

Post by kaiyara »

I want to edit a song by adding other songs one by one but the problem is that when one songs ends and other starts, its not ends smoothly. its should mix with the end and start.... any tips????
Kaiyaraaaaa....
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Beatcraft isn't meant to do that, use mixcraft for that type of project. Beatcraft is a drum machine.