Cannot Find Downloaded VST Effects

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

bfingers

Cannot Find Downloaded VST Effects

Post by bfingers »

Hi. I am running Mixcraft 5.2 Build 152 on Windows XP Professional SP3. I have downloaded several VST effects, and while I see them initializing in the splash screen, they do not appear in my list of VST effects when I click on an audio track. Specifically, I have taken the following steps for the Ticky Clav VST from BigTick:

1. Downloaded the zip file to my desktop

2. Unpacked the zip file

3. Copied the Ticky Clav .dll file to my VST folder

4. Closed Mixcraft and opened it again

The effect doesn't show up. I even re-started my computer and opened Mixcraft, to no avail. What am I missing?

One thing I want to confirm is that in my VST\Third Party Effects subfolder, there should be nothing but .dll files (e.g. no zip files or other extraneous files.

Thanks in advance.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Try putting the dll files into a folder at C:\vst, then add that folder to the custom vst folders from within mixcraft preferences. If it still doesn't show up then the plugin might be 64 bit or have other issues that cause mixcraft to list it in the vstignore.ini file in the mixcraft install directory. You can edit the vstignore.ini file with notepad to take the lines out that contain the vst you are trying to use, then try it again.
bfingers

Post by bfingers »

Thanks. I tried editing the VSTIgnore file, but the only three uncommented lines were as follows:

nsp.dll
msvcp
msvcr

I tried commenting out all of these, but it still doesn't work. Generally, are most third-party VST effects 64-bit?
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Ticky Clav is a VST instrument. It will not open as an effect, but as a virtual instrument.

1) Add a new virtual instrument track by selecting Track>Insert Track>Virtual Instrument Track.
2) Click the instrument piano keyboard button on the track header to change the instrument. This will bring up the instrument preset window.
3) Under Category select <VSTi Instruments>
4) Under Instrument Preset select Ticky Clav
5) Enjoy!

Virtual Instrument selection is described in the help file under "Choosing A Virtual Instrument"
*Vibrant Audio*