Converting corrupt files

Support and feedback for Acoustica Audio Converter Pro and MP3 to Wave Converter PLUS.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Arlan

Converting corrupt files

Post by Arlan »

I am curious to know if when you are converting from MP3 to WAV or visa versa and the original file is degraded in some way does your converter simply take what is there and deploy it in the other format or does it actually correct problems to some degree or another? In other words would it be advisable to use a restoration program to check sample rates vs. the data integrity first or is this done to some degree in Converter Pro?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I've seen the converter "fix" problematic files, but it really depends on what the problem is. Give it a try and see.

Greg
Arlan

Post by Arlan »

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should be more specific about my application. I am currently using a Tascam 2488 DAW to create and mix music. I also have Cakewalk Sonar LE on my Windows 7 computer to do some pre-editing. I am trying to work with an online music collaboration community for some compositions where people can contribute seps "tracks" that might work in the song.

Typically these files will be either MP3 or WAV 24 bit 44.1 type. Regardless of the MP3 quality uploaded these tracks are re-encoded for posting on the site to the old 192 Kbps standard for review. If you download either of these track formats the track is then re-encoded and zipped.

Most of the time when I import these downloaded files into my Sonar LE program they will include extra "space" at the beginning and end of the track. It is as if they are encased in some kind of "envelope". Even after saving these tracks in WAV 24 bit 44.1 out of the Sonar program my Tascam DAW will not acknowledge them. I am guessing that it is seeing these tracks as corrupted as a result of all of this encoding and zipping.

So, can your converter Pro "clean" these files enough to make them up to "broadcast standards" (if there is such a thing). If so are there any special settings that would be recommended for this?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

the MP3 format always adds data to the files, it's the nature of the format.
The best thing you can do is iport them into something like Mixcraft and then render them to wave files after editing the space out. You can download a free trial of Mixcraft
here
Arlan

Post by Arlan »

Thank you for the help - have a great Christmas!