Microphone Survey

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Microphone Survey

Post by Acoustica Greg »

What kind of microphone are you using?

What are you using it for? Voice? Guitar?

How are you liking the results?
G.Love

Post by G.Love »

I'm using a peavey PVi2.Sounds great.No different from shure 58,or so I'm told,for about half the price.I use it for vocals and recording my own bongos,direct to mic in. 8)
Last edited by G.Love on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Although I have about 10 different types and model s of mic for use when the band play out live, I generally use the Shure SM58, Beta 58 and SM 57 for recording.

57 on guitar and drums, beta 58 for vocals, sm58 for rom mic.
MC3Mike

Post by MC3Mike »

I use a AKG Perception for vocals and a Audio-Technica 2020 for acoustic recordings....very good results without breaking the bank
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

AKG Perception 100 for vocals & AKG C100S for instruments.
I have long since abandoned pick ups for acoustic instruments.
Mindzye

Mic'n it up!

Post by Mindzye »

Got me an Apex460 tube mic...for the money you can't beat it.Check it out on my vocals at www.mindzye.ca I just love it :D...no i'm not a spokesman btw!
Turn it Loud!
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

i just bought the cad dmtp7 percussion mic pack which i'm liking quite a bit. i'm still getting used to them but it's a great bang for the buck. you can use them for any application from drums to acoustic guitars,elec.guitars,& vocals to live bass rig mic'ing.theres 3 tom mics,a snare mic,bass drum mic, hi hat mic, & 2 overhead condenser mics. also running into the comp through a behringer ubb 1002 board which is working out great. now i just gotta get used to reworking the levels on the mixcraft side.
Sungodv

Post by Sungodv »

Put me down for MXL Large (well, Medium really) capsule Condenser Mics. I have SM57 & 58 for miking amp cabs if the desire hits me.
Mostly I record through my TonePort UX2 for elec. guitar and bass.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Just about any microphone will work on any pc. There must be something you are missing in windows sound properties to enable the microphone.
Make sure to plug it into the microphone jack, not line in. Find the microphone setting in windows mixer and enable/un-mute it.
Go into mixcraft and arm a track with the microphone.
Glergo

Post by Glergo »

Microphone: Superlux H8C Three-Pattern Condenser.
Use: Vocals

Well, considering the fact that I have never tried another condenser microphone it's hard for me to specify whether I get good results or not compared to others, but the sound is very clean and has a very natural sound.

Really liking it :)[/b]
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

There's a lot of recommendations for the Shure SM58 but there is something better for cheaper, and that's the AKG D5. There's a shoot-out comparison on Youtube, and judging by all the reviews I've been finding, it's universally agreed that the AKG is an SM58 killer.

Update 10.08.2011.
After seeing lots of impressive examples of people on Youtube using it, I recently purchased a Behringer B-1 condenser microphone. It's not only a lot cheaper than a Shure SM58 but it's also a lot better. A high quality condenser microphone for the price of an AKG-D5 dynamic, but with a shockmount, windshield and very fancy case to go with it. I checked out all the forums and reviews I could find and it seems that the usual detractors of the Behringer B-1 are those that have never even tried it, just because it's a Behringer. From what I have read, it's a reverse-engineered version of the Studio Projects B-1, but for half the price. It's sensitive, it's sharp, it's great quality, and it is great value.

Another update 02.03.2012.
I eventually bought a Behringer B-1 and found I couldn't get my vocals sounding nice - they were very harsh and it often created irritating little metallic artefacts on the vocal track. I loaded the sound file into my Audio Editor (Magix Music Editor 3.0) and found it to have a lot of spikes; I suspect that is what's causing the harshness. Anyway, I became disillusioned with it and just bought an Audio Technica AT2035, and it's proved to be so much better, in another class. I now find that my vocals are far more in tune, and less takes are necessary. I've only used it for vocals and am very impressed. The Behringer will be going on Ebay.
CRAZY6STRINGS

Re: Microphone Survey

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

I have three mics in my collection. Two SM57s and a Shure KSM32. The 57s are of course, an all around mic. I use it for vocals, guitar amp, and some acoustic guitar. The KSM32 I user for vocals and acoustic guitar only.

I really like the KSM. I'm using a ART Pro MPA II tube preamp and together they are great with both male and female vocalists. I use the 57s for live vocal performances as I have heard them used for many many...yes, many LOL years. I have always loved their sound. I even like it better than the 58s. But thats my preference.

Robert
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have several Shures, 57's and 58's, and several condensers of various makes.

In case anyone isnt aware, if you ever manage to "kill" a Shure 57/58, they will exchange it for new at about half the current price to purchase it.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

I've go too many - need to get rid of some :lol:

I tend to use a Behringer B1 condenser for vocals and acoustic guitar. It's highly recommended by Graham Cochran and suits my needs perfectly.

I use an SM 57 for recording amps and results are excellent.

I agree with Ian on the SM58/AKG D5 issue - I have both and the D5 is superior IMHO.

Other e-bay bargains include a Behringer XM 8500 (as good as the SM58 it copies) and a Fender P-51 which I won for just 99 pence! :D
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

still have the cad 7 piece drum mic set
a couple AKG d8000s'
a 57 & 58
some unknown I picked up in a pawnshop for $10 that just kills the 58
just ordered the MXL 990s.
someday soon an AKG 414 & vintage Sennheiser e409.